Talk

Advanced search

how do i make a risotto from my leftover chicken from a roast?

(17 Posts)
CrushWithEyeliner Mon 22-Sep-08 09:18:07

i know I have to boil up the carcass to make a stock - can anyone talk me through this?

t a xxx

FluffyMummy123 Mon 22-Sep-08 09:18:38

Message withdrawn

expatinscotland Mon 22-Sep-08 09:21:01

use the hugh fearnley-whitingsall recipe.

it rocks.

Furball Mon 22-Sep-08 09:21:32

I cut all the meat off, then throw the bones away! add any veg I fancy (onion, pepper, carrots, small bits of broccoli) add a cupful of (i just use normal) rice and about a pint and a bit of chicken stock made with chicken bovril. simmer for about 30 mins

Cies Mon 22-Sep-08 09:28:56

STOCK

To make the stock first strip the carcass of the left over meat and keep that refrigerated.

Put the carcass in a big saucepan, and add (if you have them) carrot, leek, celery, bay leaf, any left over veg. Cover with water. Bring to the boil, and then turn the heat right down, so it just sort of shudders and plops every now and again. It does NOT need to boil vigourously. If you have the oven on for any reason, you could put the stock pot in the oven once it´s reached boiling point instead.

Leave to shudder and plop for at least half an hour, preferably 1.5 .

Then strain the stock into a clean bowl. And throw away the carcass and veg.

NomDePlume Mon 22-Sep-08 09:30:31

my house smells gorgeous when stock is on the hob.

Stock - take the meat off your carcass, put it to one side for later. Put the carcass in a big pot with a lid and cover with water. Add an onion, bayleaf, peppercorns, carrot, celery and any other left over veg (not spuds) and herbs you might have hanging around. I also add a splash of white wine to mine. It needs to simmer gently for as long as you can manage (I do mine for 5+ hours). Skim any residue off the top with a spoon/ladle. When it's done, strain the stock through a muslin of you can or as fine a seive as you can find, leave to cool and freeze (or use straight from the stock pot).

Risotto is tricky but worth it. I'm crao at making it but DH makes a killer risotto.

NomDePlume Mon 22-Sep-08 09:32:00

I also add a small garlic clove (whole and unpeeled), it doesn't make the stock taste garlicky but it just enhances the other flavours

NomDePlume Mon 22-Sep-08 09:33:26

For risotto please use proper risotto rice - arborio or carnaroli. Basmati or normal rice don't absorb the stock in the same way and you don't get the creamy finish that risotto needs.

Cies Mon 22-Sep-08 09:34:35

RISOTTO

per person you need about 75g rice (best if it´s arborio or another round type, but if this is a store cupboard family meal then any rice will do really).

For 4 I would:

chop up an onion small and fry it gently in some oil or butter.

Meanwhile, put the rice in a measuring jug to see it´s volume. Remove, then measure out double the volume of stock plus a bit more. Heat this stock to simmering point in a saucepan.

When the onion is soft, add the chicken and mushrooms if you want to use them. When they´re hot, add the rice and let it coat with oil.

Now you´re ready to add the hot stock bit by bit. The important thing is to STIR constantly, and add the stock GRADUALLY. Put the radio on and be prepared for a tired arm. It should take about 15-20 minutes to incorporate all the stock.

Check the rice is done by biting it. Check the seasoning. Then turn off the heat, add a bit of butter to the risotto, cover it and leave to rest for about 5 minutes.

Serve with lots of parmesan.

Philpot Mon 22-Sep-08 10:30:24

Thyme goes nicely with it too. Agree with Cies - you must stir all the time and and add the stock gradually, its just boiled cleggy rice otherwise. I've always used Jamie Oliver's recipies, I think they're excellent.

CrushWithEyeliner Mon 22-Sep-08 11:51:46

Ok cool - so the stock is separate from the risotto bit then - you USE the stock to add to the rice correct?

xx

ihearthuckabees Mon 22-Sep-08 12:08:57

I also add something acidic to the rice before starting to add the stock. I like vinegar (a generous splash - white or red winevinegar, not malt) but some people prefer wine. It gives the risotto a bit of bite.

And yes, add the stock to the rice gradually, stirring all the time. Add any other veg you want towards the end (chopped up small) so that it cooks along with the rice.

Grated parmesan is nice on top after serving

CrushWithEyeliner Mon 22-Sep-08 12:29:57

great will try now xx thanks everyone

Furball Tue 23-Sep-08 12:08:30

I;v been told and have now been out and bought proper rissotto rice - am making one tonight. will report back on difference to long grain.

SmugColditz Tue 23-Sep-08 12:14:21

YOu must use risotto rice, it's the only rice I buy - reason being the children can eat it with a spoon without spilling it

PoorOldEnid Tue 23-Sep-08 12:15:44

make a plain risotto with proper risotto rice, a softly fried onion and stock

add teh leftover cooked chicken at the end to warm through

lots of parsley

ta da

penguinaballerina Tue 23-Sep-08 20:49:22

I do an oven risotto. Preheat the oven to Gas mark 4. Start as for stove top risotto, but after adding the stock you just bung it in the oven and leave it for 15-20 mins at No.4. Much easier and it tastes lovely.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now