Talk

Advanced search

So, like everyone else, we are trying to save money where possible. I have a chicken carcass that I will be stripping later and making stock. What can I make that isn't soup with the leftovers?

(14 Posts)
Goober Mon 22-Sep-08 08:21:38

Have had soup for the last 3 Mondays.
What else can I make with fresh stock and meat and general fridge and cupboard contents?
Nothing elaborate.

MarkStretch Mon 22-Sep-08 08:36:15

Casserole?

MarkStretch Mon 22-Sep-08 08:36:37

With mashed potatoes. Yum...

bellavita Mon 22-Sep-08 08:42:02

This is what I do..........

I always have a packet of Smokey Barbeque fajita mix in the cupboard.

Strip your chicken into small pieces, coat with some of the bbq powder.

Meanwhile put some rice on (I do mine in the microwave) or you could even do some pasta shapes - I have used these also.

Fry off a chopped onion, mushrooms and any other veg you may have lurking, add your chicken to warm through, then the rice should be done - mix into chicken and veg and it is a very tasty rice pilaf!

You could always use any spices instead of the bbq powder like ground cumin, corriander or if you have some garam masala?

bellavita Mon 22-Sep-08 08:42:45

it obviously does not use stock - but you could save that for something else?

Cies Mon 22-Sep-08 08:43:55

risotto

JamInMyWellies Mon 22-Sep-08 08:45:17

risotto, chuck in your leftover chicken, and some peas or any other random veg lying around v yummy also use the stock you have made from chicken bones. Or make a chicken pot pie, leftover chicken gravy and carrots or again random veg chuck a pastry lid on it.

Flier Mon 22-Sep-08 08:47:04

chicken curry, or savoury chicken - fry a little onion, add some flour and cook for 1 min, then add stock and stir while cooking until it thickens up. add chicken and heat through, then add some cream and a dash of lemon juice. serve with rice.

SlartyBartFast Mon 22-Sep-08 08:55:15

coronation chicken

SlartyBartFast Mon 22-Sep-08 08:56:10

chicken with pasta

lulumama Mon 22-Sep-08 09:01:37

use the stcok to make couscous and then add roasted veg..

fruitmachine Mon 22-Sep-08 09:19:29

does anyone know if you can use the tiny bits of chicken that fall off the carcass when you make the stock? I am never sure if I can put them in the soup that the stock makes as that would constitute reheating twice which I understand is a no-no?

sameagain Mon 22-Sep-08 09:47:29

Yes - I always put the meat from the carcass back in the soup

CountessDracula Mon 22-Sep-08 09:50:38

Make some nice tacos
Fry up a chopped onion and some chilis or chili powder and cumin for a bit

Add the leftover chicken, fry for a bit, add a choppped tomato

Shove in taco shell with whatever you want (I do a tomatoey guacamole and some grated cheese)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now