Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Is it possible to make some sort of sweet muffins without eggs?

(19 Posts)
lucysmam Sun 21-Sep-08 21:48:52

As I've none left til shopping on Friday & fancied making some sort of muffins or fairy cakes or something like that but don't know what to use in place of eggs sad

If not then I'll have to find something else to satisfy my craving for something sweet

TIA smile

lucysmam Mon 22-Sep-08 09:32:10

No-one knows? sad

beansmum Mon 22-Sep-08 09:33:43

scones?

lucysmam Mon 22-Sep-08 14:25:10

possibly going to have to be. I was hoping for something along the lines of a cake but have googled and I need a substitute of some kind according to all the recipes I have come across. Never mind, scones it will more than likely be once the lo is asleep

NotQuiteCockney Mon 22-Sep-08 14:26:11

The substitute I use is linseed - if you have whole linseed and a coffee grinder, it works fine. Well, particularly for wholesome courgette and lemon, or carrot, or similar.

lucysmam Mon 22-Sep-08 16:47:01

thanks NQC. I will have a look for that when I finish off my online Asda order tonight (if you can get it there that is). What do I do with it?

I was thinking more along the lines of something sweet to satisfy munchies but I think it would be handy to have something I could use instea of eggs since I never buy enough for the fortnight hmm or end up using them to make something sweet for munching

NotQuiteCockney Mon 22-Sep-08 17:00:57

I'm talking about sweet cakes, just wholesome low-gi ones. I haven't tried using linseed for egg in fairy cakes or similar (as I never make those).

lucysmam Mon 22-Sep-08 20:16:12

never ever make fairy cakes!?

What sorts of things do you make? You've got me curious now

phdlife Mon 22-Sep-08 20:24:27

NQC I'm interested in how you use the linseed as well (no coffee grinder though).

I make lots of fruit/veg cakes - banana, zucchini/orange, date/walnut type things. I wonder if they are low-GI - always got the impression that anything with wheat in, other than pasta, was evil-GI!

NotQuiteCockney Mon 22-Sep-08 21:48:13

I'm not English -> I didn't grow up with fairy cakes. Anyway, I don't like cakey cakes.

I make carrot cake, courgette lemon, beetroot chocolate, banana cake, pear cake, orange and pumpkin cake. They're all more wholesome and moist than fairy cakes, but not so light.

phdlife, you kinda need a coffee grinder, maybe you could do it with a mortar and pestle I guess [skeptical]. But one egg = one tablespoon of fresh-ground linseed + 2 tablespoons of water. This does the same binding and moistening things as an egg, but it doesn't rise like an egg.

I think fruit/veg cakes can be relatively low-gi. I always include fruit/veg/nuts in mine, the nuts deffo lower the GI. I use brown sugar in place of white (doubt this makes much difference) and substitute wholemeal flour for half or more of the white stuff. The sugar and the white flour is bad for GI, the fibre from the fruit/veg, and the protein/fat from the nuts, lower the GI. Wholemeal flour helps, too, of course.

kennythekangaroo Mon 22-Sep-08 21:53:10

I use this book for my muffins and it says you can just leave out the egg and add a drop more milk. Seems to work fine for me.

Failing that try vegweb which has great vegan recipes especially for cakes.

phdlife Mon 22-Sep-08 22:11:52

oooh, that sounds interesting - like lucysmam I'm fairly useless at keeping eggs around.

I know if you pour boiling water over your linseeds and leave them, you get that sticky gel thing happening, but then you do have whole linseeds in your mix. (not that this is necessarily a problem.) Might experiment with the mortar and pestle.

I do that wholemeal substitution too. usually use golden (less refined) sugar rather than brown - instead of being less processed, as you would expect, some brown sugars are actually white refined sugar with the molasses added back in. It depends on the milling process which varies.

NotQuiteCockney Tue 23-Sep-08 06:56:16

Yeah, I know, the brown sugar thing is annoying. I think the sticky brown sugars (the wet ones) are more likely to be white sugar + molasses. Demerrarra (sp!) is deffo not that. I normally end up with brown caster sugar. I do reduce sugar quantities a bit, too.

The ground linseed + water stuff you make with a coffee grinder (or spice grinder) really has the same sort of texture as an egg (only with more fibre).

lucysmam Tue 23-Sep-08 08:44:06

NQC I've never tried cake with courgette in it, or beetroot or pear. Am going to have a look around for some recipe to try some of those over the next few weeks. & try out the ground linseed rather than eggs just to see what happens

Thanks for the info, will investigate further so I'm never unable to make myself something to munch again! smile

NotQuiteCockney Tue 23-Sep-08 09:58:18

Courgette and Lemon "Bread" - I would call it cake.

Beetroot Chocolate Fudge Cake - this is a UK recipe, might be easier? Although the site for the two other recipes now lets you see the quantities in grams, rather than cups.

Pear Cake.

lucysmam Tue 23-Sep-08 17:14:06

You know what NQC, I would have never thought of putting any of them in a cake myself, but they look tasty from the pics on their pages so will definately be experimenting with the beetroot one & the courgette one.

Don't think my oh would try them though, but that means more for me so I don't mind grin

MrsCurly Tue 23-Sep-08 17:44:56

There is a Nigella Lawson recipe for banana muffins which is made without eggs. It is a bit worthy tasting ( no sugar either, just honey) but an absolute doddle to make and might hit the spot. If you do a search on the recipes here under my name you will find it as I asked on here for it once when I lost my book.

NotQuiteCockney Tue 23-Sep-08 18:00:04

They're all good. My fave is a pumpkin + orange one, but it's a real faff, as you need pureed pumpkin to make it. (Which is a normal tinned ingredient where I come from ... here, I roast, peel, and sieve butternut squash to make it ... which shows how much I love that cake, anyway.)

lucysmam Tue 23-Sep-08 21:17:59

pumpkin n orange? Sounds an interesting combination to say the least.

Never seen tinned pumpkin anywhere or I may be tempted to try that out as well but I don't have the patience for peeling stuff like that or faffing around with it.

Thanks MrsCurly, I will have a look for the banana muffin recipe in the morning, always after something new to try out n my oh has bought the HUGEST bananas home for the lo hmm today

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now