Talk

Advanced search

Cupcakes.....or fairy cakes?!!

(9 Posts)
blossomsmine Sun 21-Sep-08 19:56:49

Anyone make these at all? I make the usual cherry or currant buns but need some ideas for really girly pretty toppings to make some lovely cupcakes for a party, anyone any ideas??smile

Podrick Sun 21-Sep-08 20:01:22

make buttercream icing in a pretty colour, pipe it on top of the cakes, add silver balls / edible glitter / other decorations...voila!

tassisssss Sun 21-Sep-08 20:03:49

our sainsburies sell disney princess toppers that are v cute!

blossomsmine Sun 21-Sep-08 21:18:08

Thank you smile Hope buttercream is easy to pipe, not had my piping bag out for years!!!

Podrick Mon 22-Sep-08 18:31:19

yes it is easy - just follow the recipe mix on the icing sugar packet to get the right consistency - I can make fairy cakes look fab this way and I am a real klutz in culinary arts grin

Let me know how it goes!

champagnesupernova Mon 22-Sep-08 19:06:34

Quick hi-jack of your thread: blossom blush
Can anyone tell me, if I do fairy cakes with buttercream icing, how long will they keep?
I need them for Saturday, do I have to cook on Friday?
TIA

Podrick Mon 22-Sep-08 19:41:21

Well I made mine on Friday, iced them on Saturday and just ate the last ones today - they were fine! I kept them in an airtight container.

MadamAnt Mon 22-Sep-08 19:46:14

Check out this thread for some yummy toppings.

Look in Waitrose for the extra yummy chocolate sprinkles (made by Paynes?? I think). Ditto for crystalised violets and rose petals.

BodenGroupie Mon 22-Sep-08 20:32:18

ChampagneSN, I had to make 55 for my stepson's wedding cake - they kept much better in foil cases (cheap at Lakeland) than the usual paper ones.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now