Talk

Advanced search

chicken curry

(16 Posts)
stewart2000 Sun 21-Sep-08 16:28:33

how to i make from scratch it will be cooked chicken as i am going to buy a large chicken and use it for a few meals

please any ideas not too hot as for young uns too

Furball Sun 21-Sep-08 16:44:18

I use Pataks curry paste, they do all differet flavours like korma, tikka etc, you add a spoonful, a tin of tomatoes and a chopped onion and your meat obviously and simmer for 30 mins or so, add cream or yoghurt if you want

pipsy76 Sun 21-Sep-08 16:46:29

1 onion
1 clove garlic
v finely chop and lightly shallow fry ( can do this in water if want to be v healthy). Add grated carrot and chopped apple (makes it nice and sweet)then add tin chopped tomatoes. 1tsp curry powder, 1 veggie stock cube. Simmer for 30 minutes. Then add cooked chicken. 'Til august I was a veggie for 17 years this is now one of my favorite meals!

stewart2000 Sun 21-Sep-08 16:46:30

thanks

SqueakyPop Sun 21-Sep-08 19:23:54

I have a very easy American recipe for cooked chicken.

You chop an onion and cook it till soft. The add curry powder according to taste. Add a can of Campbell's/Bachelor's condensed chicken soup made up with milk. Add the cooked chicken and some peas, raisins and chopped apples. You can also put in chopped nuts if you like.

Furball Mon 22-Sep-08 06:58:54

pipsy - what made you decide you would like meat again? and do you eat all meat produce or just chicken?

Overmydeadbody Mon 22-Sep-08 12:13:58

What you need, stewart, is my mild chicken korma recipe! Hang on while I get the link...

Carmenere Mon 22-Sep-08 12:16:04

I think your Korma should be recipe of the week this week OMDB grin

Overmydeadbody Mon 22-Sep-08 12:17:30

ta da. Nice and mild for little ones.

If you don't fancy korma though, you can use the basic principle to make bases and pastes for all sorts of curries. The trick is in blending up the onion, ginger and garlic, then frying whatever spices you need in oil, adding the garlic paste, then your chicken/meat/veg, then your sauce ingredients (could be tomato based or cream based or stock or yoghurt or coconut milk etc.)

Altohugh I blend the onion up with the ginger and garlic, you don't have to. You can finely chop the onion instead and add it after the spices and sautee it. DS picks out the onion if I do it this way though so I tend to puree the lot up grin

Overmydeadbody Mon 22-Sep-08 12:18:15

lol Carmenere!

I really should make it again, it's been about 6 months...

bundle Mon 22-Sep-08 12:18:27

plop a spoon of mango chutney in it too

Overmydeadbody Mon 22-Sep-08 12:24:26

or better still, serve the mango chutney or the side once it is cooked, perfect with basmati rice and naan bread to scoop up all the juices <drool>

bundle Mon 22-Sep-08 12:27:14

i prefer teh chutnye on the side but i bet lots of kids would like the sweetness in it. bit like those lovely meatballs i used to make for the girls, which also had grated apple in them

pipsy76 Tue 23-Sep-08 07:35:35

furball, I'm just eating chicken really, could blame pregnancy but don't really know why Ive started meat again!

prettymum Tue 23-Sep-08 07:44:55

this is how i make chicken curry, dp's method

season pieces of chicken with all purpose seasoning, chicken seasoning, ground pepper, garlic powder and curry powder. then chop up onions and pepper and mix with seasoned chicken. we like to add hot pepper too as we love spicy food. leave overnight to marinade.

then when ready heat up oil, add chopped garlic and then add the chicken marinade into pot and let it cook till its ready, add water if needed.

Furball Tue 23-Sep-08 07:47:32

thanks for answering pipsy smile How odd, do you think you'll convert back when you have the baby?

I don't really eat chicken, just find it bland and unsatisfying. My favourite is lamb - maybe you should give that a go wink

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now