Talk

Advanced search

dinner party puddings/desserts - or ideas for making a crumble special?

(25 Posts)
hatwoman Sun 21-Sep-08 16:05:04

has anyone either got a recipe that makes a crumble a bit more than a crumble - maybe a slosh of alcohol in the fruit or something intersting in the topping? or any other ideas for a minimum fuss but very nice dinner party pudding?

RubySlippers Sun 21-Sep-08 16:10:49

i was watching Masterchef (the professionals) and one of them made a rhubarb crumble with coconut - it seemed to go down well

i always think Pavolva is a good pudding - you can go to town on the toppings

Gingerbear Sun 21-Sep-08 16:11:49

muscovado sugar and oats in the crumble.

Rhubarb, blueberries and plums in the fruity bit.

Make it tart, not too sweet.

Serve with clotted cream.

hmmm...

Othersideofthechannel Sun 21-Sep-08 16:20:00

Crumble is delish but mine always look a little splody when served. Individual crumbles would look more special.

hoxtonchick Sun 21-Sep-08 16:25:44

i have made a crumble this afternoon. pear & rhubarb, & have put some crystallised ginger in. will let you know how it is later (suspect kids might not be too happy with the ginger, hoping to distract them with ice cream).

hatwoman Sun 21-Sep-08 16:59:05

thanks all - otherside - I totally agree about the individual thing (it's irrational but so true) problem is I'm cooking for 27...so I think it's out! in fact, having just done my ocado order I'm beginning to wonder if I have, in fact, lost my mind...I've spent far too long drooling over this website and plotting sophisticated canapes, I've kind of gone past the point of no return but really do wonder if I'm over-stretching myself...

gingerbear - yes agree with the oats and lovely dark sugar. as for the fruit I'm not so sure about coconut (dh not that keen and it's his birthday) - I'll await a report back from hc

Habbibu Sun 21-Sep-08 17:31:00

What fruit are you using? A little cassis or framboise is nice with blackberries, blackcurrants and the like. Nutmeg or cinnamon good with apples. Finely grated orange rind and orange juice nice with rhubarb.

Habbibu Sun 21-Sep-08 17:33:35

Also if you're using berries it's nice if crumble is not too thick, so the juice creeps through the odd crack, and you get nice sticky purple bits on the top. Crumble a very good idea if you're cooking for 27 - would not aim for anything fancier than that! It's also a great crowd pleaser. Clotted cream or home-made custard lovely - but the home-made custard would mean a Lot of eggs and too much faff, I think.

hoxtonchick Sun 21-Sep-08 17:33:41

27 shock. hope dh appreciates it. how about using vanilla sugar in the topping?

Pennies Sun 21-Sep-08 17:43:25

Rhubarb and strawberry crumble - absolutely gorgeous, and a bit unusual to have cooked strawberries. You could serve it with a special homemade icecream (i.e. stem ginger ice-cream might be nice with it).

Recipe here

chunkychips Sun 21-Sep-08 17:48:02

don't know anyone who doesn't love crumble, so wouldn't bother tarting it up. apple and blackberry is my favourite. You could sprinkle with some flaked almonds which will toast in the oven and then dust with icing sugar before serving it up.

pushchair Sun 21-Sep-08 17:55:21

Unless you are set on crumble what about lemon tart or lemon meringue pie or banoffie pie?

hatwoman Sun 21-Sep-08 18:56:08

tbh pushchair - all of those involve too much effort. crumble is so easy. just found a recipe for cobbler - might try that instead

TheFallenMadonna Sun 21-Sep-08 19:06:18

I would second the rhubarb and strawberry suggestion, or rhubarb and ginger.

Use half flour, half oats in the topping.

Crumble nicer than cobbler grin

DingALongCow Sun 21-Sep-08 19:16:31

I make a delicious one which is sort of an inverted crumble flap jack thing, very quick and easy but also v good.

I make this base:

1 1/4 cups (300 mL) quick-cooking rolled oats
1/2 cup (125 mL) ground almonds
1/2 cup (125 mL) packed brown sugar
1/3 cup (75 mL) all-purpose flour
1/4 tsp (1 mL) each salt and nutmeg
1/2 cup (125 mL) butter, softened

(put in bowl and mix until crumbly, put in tin and bake for 10 mins at 190)

Then while it is cooling I put mixed berries etc into a pan with a spoon or two of sugar and heat gently until they start to break down a little and there is a syrupy juice at the bottom. Pour it on top of the base and leave it to cool and then put in the fridge. Its sort of sweet and tart and crunchy and very attractive with the glossy berries on top (i used recurrants, blackberries and blueberries today but you can do any combo I think).

Very quick to make and its DD and my DH's favourite. Also my standby emergency dessert for parties. I put a thin slice with cream on a plate and it makes about enough for 5-10 (depending on size of slice!).

hoxtonchick Sun 21-Sep-08 19:39:45

well i thought the ginger was delicious & the children didn't notice it (best i could hope for i reckon).

FluffyMummy123 Sun 21-Sep-08 19:41:08

Message withdrawn

tassisssss Sun 21-Sep-08 19:45:00

Nigella's balckberry crisp is wonderful if you're set on crumble.

Cod can we have a recipe please?

I pretty much always do pavlova or cakey things, occasionally cheesecake and I recently branched out and attempted profiteroles which I think I'll do again v soon.

FluffyMummy123 Sun 21-Sep-08 19:45:39

Message withdrawn

FluffyMummy123 Sun 21-Sep-08 19:46:18

Message withdrawn

maidamess Sun 21-Sep-08 19:47:20

I prefer Eton Mess grin

FluffyMummy123 Sun 21-Sep-08 19:47:39

Message withdrawn

misselizabethbennet Sun 21-Sep-08 19:48:16

I made cobbler for the first time last week and it could not be easier. Fruit in the bottom of the bowls, cake mixture with porridge oats in blobs on the top.

Went down a treat. Otherwise, I'd stick with crumble. Everyone loves it.

FluffyMummy123 Sun 21-Sep-08 19:49:52

Message withdrawn

tassisssss Sun 21-Sep-08 19:50:49

ah, raw eggs

I have similar recipe and it's delish, but i always worry that my guests may be pregnant, this phase in life will hopefully pass

so i feel the need to say "it's got raw eggs in it if you're pregnant!" and then everyone thinks yuck, raw eggs...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now