Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

i've just made kids' sandwiches for tomorrow's lunch and put them in the fridge.....but

(33 Posts)
cutekids Sun 21-Sep-08 13:27:24

my Mum heard and hit the roof!
She says that i've made them far too early.
Have I? blush
They are ham(out of a packet)and cheese.I've put them in food bags into their sandwich boxes and then into the fridge.Is that bad?

WideWebWitch Sun 21-Sep-08 13:27:59

they'll be fine, I'm making ours soon.

MamaG Sun 21-Sep-08 13:29:00

They'll be absolutely fine

FluffyMummy123 Sun 21-Sep-08 13:29:02

Message withdrawn

MrsWeasley Sun 21-Sep-08 13:30:40

no you did the right thing. I will be doing mine in a moment too unless you fancy making some for my DCs too grin

SmugColditz Sun 21-Sep-08 13:30:44

Ridiculous, they will be fine.

AnAngelWithin Sun 21-Sep-08 13:30:48

exactly cod!

i make mine for the week and put them in the freezer and take them out and put them in the fridge the night before.

Nbg Sun 21-Sep-08 13:31:06

Oh god, this has just reminded me that dd is having pack up this week.

<sigh>

unknownrebelbang Sun 21-Sep-08 13:32:50

eh?

I made mine for DS1 + DS2 at about 8 am this morning, for some obscure reason.

I never usually make them though, tbh, they make their own.

cutekids Sun 21-Sep-08 13:33:31

Thanks everyone!
I mentioned about the ones you buy in shops and she said,"Yes,but they're full of preservatives."!!!!Thank God i'm not the only one. I just thought I was being organised.smile

MarlaSinger Sun 21-Sep-08 13:35:49

I'm doing mine soon. With me, DP and DS needing to leave the house at 7.45, if I'm not organised it won't get done.

I did have to get Mumsnet approval before doing egg mayo though blush but it was yummy

SmugColditz Sun 21-Sep-08 13:36:57

Er, no.

Shop bought sandwiches are not full of preservatives at all. I worked in a sandwich factory in Leicestershire - and yes, they are prepared in near sterile conditions but the ingredients are normal bread, butter and fulling. Plus, those sandwiches have a 3 or 4 day expiry date on them.

Imnotok Sun 21-Sep-08 13:38:51

The ham and cheese would be in the fridge anyway so i can't see any problem with it .

belgo Sun 21-Sep-08 13:58:24

I've also made the children's sandwiches for tomorrow, because I am super organised and because my mum always did it that way and my sandwiches were always edible (just)

brightwell Sun 21-Sep-08 18:06:55

I've made tomorrow's and Tuesdays. I always do 2days at a time.

AnybodyHomeMcFly Sun 21-Sep-08 18:15:02

And ham is cured which is a preservative in its own right. And cheese lasts for yonks. What is possibly going to happen to them in 24 hours in the fridge??

Overmydeadbody Sun 21-Sep-08 18:19:47

Smug I worked in a sandwitch factory in Leicestershire too!shock

Could it be the same one?!

cutekids of course they will be fine. No different to having the ham and cheese and bread all seperately stored in the fridge until tomorrow. It would be different if the sandwiches had tomato or salad in them that might make the bread soggy and the salad limp.

SlartyBartFast Sun 21-Sep-08 18:20:48

out of itnerest, would you put lettuce in?
i always make in the morning, presicely because i do put salad in, but could i get away with it?

mind you in the evenign i am often too tired

Overmydeadbody Sun 21-Sep-08 18:24:40

slarty it might go a bit limp and loose its crunch, I'd make them and then add the lettuce in the morning.

What I used to do when I made sandwiches for my sisters and I for school (it was my job) was slice all the cheese for the week on sunday, and all the tomatoes, and wash and break up all the lettuce, and store each thnig in a seperate airtight container in the fridge.

Then making the sandwitches up in the morning was really easy as all the filling was ready made in the fridge.

WingsofaAngel Sun 21-Sep-08 18:25:36

I always make pack ups the day before. Never had any complaints.

Tell her your going to freeze some and see what she thinks to that grin

cheekysealion Sun 21-Sep-08 18:27:47

why dont the shop ones lose there crunch with salad in...?

i make mine in the morning as the cucumber and tomato go horrid

SlartyBartFast Sun 21-Sep-08 18:28:03

thanks omdb, could try that

Overmydeadbody Sun 21-Sep-08 18:34:33

cheeky: same reason those packets of prepared salad leaves stay crunchy, they are packages in a protective atmosphere and the seal makes them airtight.

If the shop bought sandwiches where all open they would go limp and horrid too.

AuntieMaggie Sun 21-Sep-08 18:34:48

They should be fine - you're only taking the hamd and cheese out of the fridge, putting it in bread and putting it back in the fridge!

Personally I wouldn't make mine the night before and put them in the fridge, but then I hate bread that's been in the fridge.

Good lord.
She went postal because you made sandwiches early.
FGS do not even mention Christmas, she could have a stroke.

do you and your mum live in the same house cutekids?

....if cutekids is still here - it's been a while since she posted. [worried that mother sought revenge for the premature sandwich making]

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now