Talk

Advanced search

Can I do anything other than stew with stewing steak?

(11 Posts)
lucysmam Sun 21-Sep-08 11:14:38

My dad's just given me 2 bags of stewing steak which he bought a week or 2 ago but hasn't used. Can I make anything out of it other than stew? Or is it best kept for stew?

Thanks smile

Overmydeadbody Sun 21-Sep-08 11:21:18

well, stew coveres an awful lot of things!!

You can do curries, goulash, traditional stews, pie fillings, cornish pasties, cut the pieces into really hin slithers and do chinese beef stir-fries, chop it into very small pieces and make chilli con carne (originally made with pieces of meat, not mince), moroccan tagines, north african dishes, arab and Persian stews...

Basically, go wild!!!

Overmydeadbody Sun 21-Sep-08 11:21:59

It's best in things with long slow cooking, as it needs a lot of time to go all tender and flakey <drool>

lucysmam Sun 21-Sep-08 11:26:22

Wow! I didn't realise I'd be able to do so much with it! Thought I was doomed to eating stew for the next week. Thanks OMDB, as usual you've given me some great ideas smile

Overmydeadbody Sun 21-Sep-08 11:28:28

No worries smile

I am in the mood for cornish pasties though now, damn!

lucysmam Sun 21-Sep-08 11:32:05

lol

I would be too if I could make gravy, but I can't sad

Overmydeadbody Sun 21-Sep-08 11:33:37

you don't need gravy for cornish poasties

lucysmam Sun 21-Sep-08 11:34:39

I do! yummy! but only with gravy, not keen on them otherwise usually

Overmydeadbody Sun 21-Sep-08 11:45:41

no no no wink

I am cornish. You can't eat them with gravy! All they need is some freshly mixed up mustard and lots of freshly ground salt and papper.

Wrap in a (cloth) napkin, and eat, dipping each mouthful into mustard and then the salt and pepper <drool>

lucysmam Sun 21-Sep-08 11:56:58

ooh, never tried them with mustard! Think I'll have to experiment.

How do you make them? Might give some a go this evening when lo is asleep

duchesse Sun 21-Sep-08 12:02:20

Pie! I get sick of stew as well, and a friend reminded me about pies- was a success.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now