Talk

Advanced search

Casserole.

(8 Posts)
lardybump Sat 20-Sep-08 13:03:42

It is getting near to shopping day so food is sparse in the lardy house. I have some veggies and some chicken breasts and a pack of pearl barley. I was thinking of putting it all in the casserole dish with tomatoes and stock. Thing is I don’t know how long to cook it for or if I would have to pre cook the chicken or pearl barley???? What do you think??

boogeek Sat 20-Sep-08 13:05:28

You don't need to precook any of it, though it will be (marginally) tastier if you brown the chicken first. You might cut it into large lumps - or you can leave them whole, whatever you prefer.
I'd give it...mmm, hard to say. "Until it is ready" is not very helpful is it! Probably 2 hours at about 160C.
Don't add too much stock as runny casseroles are not nice.

PuppyMonkey Sat 20-Sep-08 13:05:43

bung it all in together and leave it on low for hours and hours and hours. What's the worst that could happen?

squigglywig Sat 20-Sep-08 13:06:40

all in together, on low, for, uhm, as long as you can?

bellavita Sat 20-Sep-08 13:10:20

I would (although the pearl barley will thicken the sauce slightly) put some flour on a plate, season with salt and pepper, dip chicken pieces in and quickly brown off in the frying pan.

When brown, put into your casserole dish. Put some of the stock into the frying pan so it will get all the crusty bits up and then tip this into the dish.

A couple of hours will be ample, just give it a stir now and again.

I am sure it will be very tasty.

lardybump Sat 20-Sep-08 13:10:39

Thank you all for this I am going to put it in now.... Browning the chicken first....

boogeek Sat 20-Sep-08 22:01:58

Was it nice?

lardybump Mon 22-Sep-08 17:29:15

it was except i put to much pearl barley in it....

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now