Talk

Advanced search

Quick, weekday, when I get in from work recipies anyone?

(7 Posts)
jellibabe Sat 20-Sep-08 07:04:24

Anyone willing to share their easy peasy week day family recipies with me?? I cook on automatic pilot when I get in from work and need a bit of direction to get me out of the fish finger / chicken nugget rut. Anything appreciated - my kids will thank you for it grin.

Slouchy Sat 20-Sep-08 07:19:28

Pasta - of course. Basic tomato sauce (you can do a quickie there and then or make it properly and freeze in batches) then add various to it - tuna/sausages/chorizo/courgette/sweetcorn are all favourites in our house.

Baked chicken drumsticks with potato wedges - drizzle both in olive oil and a little garlic. We sometime add a bit of chilli powder to the wedges (serve with sour cream or greek yog). Drummers - 35 mins, wedges 20 mins. serve with salad or baked beans

Will keep thinking.

squigglywig Sat 20-Sep-08 07:51:21

Corned beef pie - 1 tin corned beef, 4 medium sized potatoes, 1 medium onion. 300gms flour, 150gms butter/marg, a little water. Frozen peas or other veg.

1. Peel and boil spuds. Put cup of water in the freezer.

Whilst waiting for spuds:

Cold fat in bowl with flour. Mix together to form very fine breadcrumb type affair. Add chilled water very slowly to bind the mixture. Form into a ball, place in bowl and leave in fridge.

Chop the onion. Drain potatoes.

Add the beef and onions to the potatoes. Mash it all together and spoon into the bottom of a dish.

Take out the pastry and roll or handmould it into the shape required for your dish. Lay it over the top and press the sides into the dish to seal.

Pierce the pastry in the middle to let out steam. Put in the oven on 200 for 20 minutes.

squigglywig Sat 20-Sep-08 07:54:40

Pork in orange sauce (not as complicated as it sounds I promise)

Fry pork chops to lightly brown. Remove from pan. Add flour to pan to soak up the fat/juice from the port - enough to make a paste.

Keep on a low heat. Start to stir in orange juice. Keep going to make enough sauce to cover your chops. Add cornflour to thicken if you want. Return chops to pan, with one onion, and two quartered tomatoes and some paprika.

Leave to simmer gently while you cook rice or what have you.

LoveMyGirls Sat 20-Sep-08 08:04:11

fish in butter sauce, potato wedges/ waffles and brocolli - easy and done in 20 minutes

LoveMyGirls Sat 20-Sep-08 08:08:57

sausage and mash (cut potatoes up into little cubes so they cook quickly) and veg, gravy

jellibabe Sat 20-Sep-08 13:10:23

Yum <fishes for pen and paper>. Sure I could cope with those. Never tried making my own wedges before so am going to give it a go. Pasta and rice are favourites here cause they are cheap and speedy although it tends to evolve around curry or chilli.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now