Talk

Advanced search

What can I invite young children over to cook dinner and eat?

(15 Posts)
Thankyouandgoodnight Fri 19-Sep-08 20:24:13

A lovely lady has invited DD (20 months) round for tea with her two (3 and 6) twice now - once to make and eat pancakes and then pizza.

What would be a good meal that I can reciprocate with?? I know there are some veggies that her younger one doesn't like (but can't remember what) and they are mainly vegetarian. I need ideas similar to pizza where each can choose what they like and avoid things they don't. My mind is blank!

All ideas welcome!!!!

NoblesseOblige Fri 19-Sep-08 20:24:47

fajitas!smile

NoblesseOblige Fri 19-Sep-08 20:25:20

spanish omelette. or <<gasp>> cakes?

janeite Fri 19-Sep-08 20:28:57

Fajitas and fondue.

Or bread rolls, with a selection of topping choices in bowls; follow by plain fairy cakes with bowls of icing and sprinkles!

jkklpu Fri 19-Sep-08 20:30:37

scones are quick to cook and you can do with raisins/cheese/other dried fruit as well as plain ones you can spread with anything sweet or savoury - lovely hot out of the oven

lucysmam Fri 19-Sep-08 21:12:42

some sort of wraps with selection of bits n pieces to wrap up in them?

I like janiete's idea of plain fairy cakes to ice themselves and decorate, although I'm not THAT brave myself grin

janeite Fri 19-Sep-08 21:15:58

Lucy - I've done the fairy cake thing a few times. It's fine, so long as you have enough chairs for them all to sit at the dining table, plus a plastic sheet or oilcloth on the table!

Icecream with different toppings could be another idea.

Pitta breads with bowls of salad, falafel, tuna, sweetcorn etc for stuffing?

WendyWeber Fri 19-Sep-08 21:18:22

Does it have to be different? Couldn't you do pizza again? They do generally love pizza smile

lucysmam Fri 19-Sep-08 21:18:39

I have a huge plastic sheet & a dining table . . . no chairs unfortunately hmm

They got put outside for some reason last winter & ruied! oops blush

But you've given me an idea for something to occupy 2 kids now n they coul sit on the floor so thanks smile

janeite Fri 19-Sep-08 21:22:29

Have fun! Actually, they'd probably be okay standing around the dining table too.

lucysmam Fri 19-Sep-08 21:35:33

My lo can't quite reach it. But I think I have a small picnic table somewhere that may have a use after all

I assume you mean runny icing sugarn water type icing? (I usually eat more than goes on fairy cakes when I make them though if that's the case blush )

janeite Fri 19-Sep-08 21:38:50

I do. Not at all healthy but for a tea party, who cares?!

lucysmam Fri 19-Sep-08 21:51:51

True, should be fun! I think I'd invite me as well for some yummy diy food with the kids grin

Thankyouandgoodnight Sat 20-Sep-08 21:12:24

Thank you so much for your replies. I love the fajitas/ pizza again and cake ideas! I don't think fondue would be safe with my 20 month old however grin. The wraps are a great idea for lunches - I've got it in to my head that they should have a cooked dinner as that's what I go for for myself - I'd feel cheated if I went to bed on a sandwich for some reaosn hmm.

eidsvold Sat 20-Sep-08 21:26:18

pizzas - buy or make the basees

they can paint on the sauce - my dds love that - they are around the ages that you are having over. They can then put any sort of toppings that you put out for them - finish with cheese.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now