Talk

Advanced search

creating menus

(6 Posts)
redheadmum Thu 18-Sep-08 20:12:14

I absolutely hate having to come up with what to cook each and every day! I am not a creative cook and looking in a fridge full (or empty!) of ingredients does not inspire me at all.

I have decided to start creating menus so I don't do the post -school -OMG -what -shall -I -make -today crisis ....does anyone know any good websites that help you do this? or have any ideas that will help me???

thanks!

SuperBunny Sat 20-Sep-08 05:41:01

Search the archives for meal/ menu planning. Lets of info

redheadmum Tue 23-Sep-08 18:28:00

thanks will check it out!

Overmydeadbody Tue 23-Sep-08 18:35:40

make sure you include family favourites, you can't just start using someone else's menu planner as it might not work for your family.

Let everyone in the family have a say in creating it and choose one measl a week to include. It helps prevent you getting stuck in a rutt too.

Think abbout having meals that require similar ingredients, so you are not buying loads of different ingredients each week. Especially good for making sure half a packet of vegetables doesn't just get forgotten about in the bottom of the fridge. If you need coriander for one dish, but won't use a whole packet, make sure you have other meals planned that will use it up before it's too late.

Cook double and freeze half. That way you will have some days when all you have to do is defrost and heat up.

Overmydeadbody Tue 23-Sep-08 18:36:45

I have a monthly menu plan, I couldn't bear having to eat the same thing every monday for example, and I have left days blank so I have the freedom to cook something spontanious or new too.

redheadmum Wed 24-Sep-08 19:28:12

thanks! all very helpful.

I've done a week's plan at the moment (baby steps!) and so far its really helping to get me organised and something on the table

I've actually looked up a few recipes too as requests have come in from the Fam.

a month sounds good - will gradually try to extend it

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now