Talk

Advanced search

When can children eat raw eggs?

(7 Posts)
monkeybumsmum Thu 18-Sep-08 12:27:06

Can't seem to find out any information on when it's safe for children to eat raw eggs? I'm not intending on giving ds any yet (he's only 19 months) but it's something I'm always wondering, but keep forgetting to ask anyone!

Also, what about unpasteurised cheeses? I haven't got a clue whether they're safe to give him or not??

Thanks!

Overmydeadbody Thu 18-Sep-08 12:33:12

unpasteurised cheeses I think are fine.

Eggs I'm not sure, but it's probably just about making a choice, like with eating raw eggs as ad adult, depends if you trust the source or not. I don't think age makes any difference with the risk of salmonella with raw eggs, but obviously it would be worse for a younger child to get it.

What do you want to use raw eggs for?

monkeybumsmum Thu 18-Sep-08 12:40:43

It's just to know really - if we go somewhere that has homemade mayo, or if I make a cake whether he could have any of the uncooked mixture - I remember loving that when I was younger...

Great re unpasteurised cheeses, thanks!

mummyclare Thu 18-Sep-08 12:41:41

It's funny all the information says when not to do it not when you can. I think that's probably because you always run the risk of salmonella when eating undercooked eggs even as an adult. I started giving them soft boiled eggs and fried eggs at 12 months. Such easy meals!

The risk as I understand it is pretty much same for under cooked as completely raw. And 12 month old was allowed to help lick cake bowl - complete with raw egg, chocolate and sugar. Gosh aren't I a bad mother.

i think the same applies with cheese. There is always a risk so no authority will tell you it's safe.

I reckon their immune systems are pretty good at 12 months. Hey yours is 19 go for it.

Bramshott Thu 18-Sep-08 12:45:12

Hmm - this is tricky. I have relaxed with my DD1 now she is 5, but tbh, probably wouldn't have let her have raw egg before then, in the same way that I would probably not feed it to my 90 year old granny either.

mummyclare Mon 22-Sep-08 15:17:57

this should reassure you:

www.britegg.co.uk/lionquality05/lionquality2.html

monkeybumsmum Thu 25-Sep-08 17:24:50

Thank you mummyclare will have a look!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now