Talk

Advanced search

So, lots of people on the credit crunch tips thread mention bulking out with lentils/veg - how?

(13 Posts)
CatMandu Wed 17-Sep-08 22:53:55

OK, I'm not entirely stupid, but what I mean is what kind of meals are you doing this with? The only thing I make where I could bulk out with veg is shepherds pie and I can't imagine adding lentils to it. So what are these wonder meals - I'm trying to cut back at the moment so would love to know.

Brangelina Wed 17-Sep-08 22:59:20

Use less meat and replace with lentils. So a shepherd's pie you could halve your meat dosage and bulk out with lentils. Or even get rid of the meat altogether.

expatinscotland Wed 17-Sep-08 23:00:00

spag bol sauce, hamburgers or any mince-based dish like meatballs, soups, curries.

RambleOn Wed 17-Sep-08 23:02:36

I do this a lot, and would say it works BEST for shepherds pie. Yum.

Tiramissu Wed 17-Sep-08 23:02:38

Also in casseroles put less meat and 10 min before is ready throw in a can of chickpeas/red kidneys

Flibbertyjibbet Wed 17-Sep-08 23:04:22

This is what I do. I have to do 'sneaky lentils' otherwise dp will get a bit of trapped wind and accuse me of poisoning him with them grin

The lovely brown ones are best you don't need the overnight soak.

Twice a week we have lentilly meals, they are best as a 'background' to other things I find.

One night I get a can of cheap lentil soup and add that (plus any bits of veg left over in the fridge) to an equal amount of brown lentils that have been boiled for a bit then simmered for half an hour or so. Mix it all together serve with cheese on toast.

On another day we have braising steak done in the slow cooker with onions and carrots. So I either put a lot of extra water in on day one and add 2 or 3 handfuls of lentils. This bulks it out so it does for a couple of days. OR I do it just as steak on day one, but save the juices and some of the meat. 2nd day I put it back in the slow cooker with lentils, lots of water, stock cube and more onions and carrots. It makes a sort of stew. When its nearly done I put couscous in which makes a more 'solid' meal.

Come to think of it there was a thread recently about what to do with lentils, I should have read it!!

Flibbertyjibbet Wed 17-Sep-08 23:05:16

Sorry thats a can of tomato soup I add my lentils to - not soup already made from lentils blush

bran Wed 17-Sep-08 23:06:42

I always add a cupful of red split lentils to curry, it really improves the texture and you don't need as much meat.

CatMandu Wed 17-Sep-08 23:07:15

I like lentils, but dh is typical northern male and it's taken me years to move him away from meat and two veg. I thought they had to be soaked and I wouldn't know the difference between various types, but will search for lentil thread.

ivykaty44 Wed 17-Sep-08 23:10:37

Stew, make the stew and use 25% less meat, then add pearl barley as it takes the flavour of the stew and gives bulk to the stew to replace the meat - filling you up and its good for you. Also good in cambells chicken soup as it makes it go further.

Make a dahl and a curry, take half the curry and freeze for next week, then put the dalh and the rest of the curry on the table and serve with pita breads toasted to dip, the dalh is really cheap to make as it is onion, lentils, spices and tomato. The pita bread is far cheaper than naan, less fattening and does the same job.

ivykaty44 Wed 17-Sep-08 23:12:18

Pearl barley must be cooked for a few hours - so I add to a slow cooker. Please read instructions on packet, although I never pre cook them I do make sure they are cooked for required lenght of time.

charchargabor Wed 17-Sep-08 23:17:46

You really can add lentils to pretty much any thing, and even used on their own in say a spag bol I find it still has quite a meaty texture and flavour. I just add a handful or two to anything and simmer, you can barely taste them tbh and they're really filling.

SuperBunny Thu 18-Sep-08 03:18:31

Beans are good for bulking out too - we have black bean bolognese and chili with various pulses in it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now