Talk

Advanced search

3 red chillis, 3 green chillis and lots of tomatoes, what can I make?

(14 Posts)
lilacclaire Wed 17-Sep-08 21:19:22

Thinking chilli con carne or a chilli sauce.
Any ideas welcome. Have plenty of garlic, onion etc.
TIA.

RandomIdiot Wed 17-Sep-08 21:20:19

pasta arabiata?

Portofino Wed 17-Sep-08 21:20:34

Uuuum - chilli! Do you have any meat?

Mutt Wed 17-Sep-08 21:21:04

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

lilacclaire Wed 17-Sep-08 21:34:15

Yes, well going shopping tommorow so can get meat and anything else.
Will look up arrabiata

needtofeelinlove Wed 17-Sep-08 21:45:22

Got any bell peppers? Stewing beef? Sour cream? Paprika? Make a mean hungarian goulash

lilacclaire Thu 18-Sep-08 09:53:05

Thanks, will try both, have actually more chilli's than I thought and never used them before!

NorbertDentressangle Thu 18-Sep-08 09:55:07

A salsa to serve with tortilla wraps/fajitas?

FioFio Thu 18-Sep-08 09:57:11

Message withdrawn

JulesJules Thu 18-Sep-08 10:05:24

Pasta
Lots of sliced tomatoes, plus garlic and chopped hot red chillies, cook gently in olive oil. Add a squeeze of lime juice. Parmesan and basil leaves on top to serve.
Quick, easy, delicious! We make this a lot as we grow tomatoes, chillies and basil on the kitchen windowsill.

Chillies keep for ages, you can still use them when they get all dried and wrinkly, or you can put them in a bottle of olive oil to make your own chilli oil.

MadameCastafiore Thu 18-Sep-08 10:06:11

Gazpacho (sp)

lilacclaire Thu 18-Sep-08 10:14:07

Thanks Jules, will try that one as well, hope the family have a strong constitution grin for all these spicy recipies!

lilacclaire Sun 21-Sep-08 08:38:41

Well, I made the Hungarian Goulash, was a bit sceptical but it was delicious and a hit with the family.

Yesterday I made 'spicy mince', ie my own creation with the rest of the chilli's, had it on baked potatoes and used the rest of the sour cream on it.

Thank you all.

boogiewoogie Sun 21-Sep-08 16:04:31

I made a yummy aubergine and chickpea curry the other day.

2 onions chopped finely
2 cloves of garlic crushed
big chunk of ginger, about the size of a golf ball diced finely
1 tsp Cumin seeds
1 tsp coriander (ground)
Chillis chopped finely
1 tsp tumeric
1 tsp paprika

tomatoes
1 aubergine diced
1 tin of chickpeas
Chopped fresh coriander
50g to 75g of coconut cream
Vegetable oil and butter

Instructions:
Heat the oil and butter in a large saucepan, fry the onion, garlic and ginger until the onions become soft, about 10 minutes, add some water to stop the mixture from sticking to the bottom.
Add the dry spices and chopped chillis into the mixture and cook for a further 2 minutes until all the onion mixture is coated with the tumeric.
Add the tomatoes, chickpeas and grate the coconut cream in and simmer for 25 minutes stirring occasionally. Add a bit of water if mixture looks dry.
Meanwhile fry the aubergines and drain them on some kitchen paper. Put the aubergines and chopped coriander into the curry mixture and simmer for a further 10 minutes season if desired.

Serve with rice or nan or both!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now