Talk

Advanced search

Spag Bol

(15 Posts)
ImnotMamaGbutsheLovesMe Wed 17-Sep-08 16:22:28

Can I make this with just mince and a bit of stock? They don't like tomatoes, onions or mushrooms in it and I would put stock so it isn't too dry. Would it work?

Mercy Wed 17-Sep-08 16:32:15

Well, it wouldn't really taste anything like spag bol tbh, it would be incredibly bland.

Is there something else you could make with the mince? Cottage pie, burgers?

ImnotMamaGbutsheLovesMe Wed 17-Sep-08 16:33:02

They won't mind and tbh it isn't how I would normally do it but I wnt DD to eat.

Mercy Wed 17-Sep-08 16:36:44

Oh I see. How old is dd?

castille Wed 17-Sep-08 16:43:45

I put stock in mine (with tomatoes, oh and wine)

Without the tomatoes etc won't be bolognese as such, more like mince in gravy, but perfectly acceptable to a fussy child I'm sure!

detoxdiva Wed 17-Sep-08 16:44:17

Agree it would be very bland - could you not put the onions and mushrooms in a blender so you have flavour but not big lumps? What about using ketchup instead of tinned toms, again so its smooth? Chuck a load of cheese on the top to hide anything else grin

Overmydeadbody Wed 17-Sep-08 16:46:14

Well of course you can cook up mince with a bit of stock and serve it to your DD.

But it's not Spag Bol is it? grin

It's mince.

My mum used to do this for my fussy brother and serve it with peas and rice. Would they eat that?

witchandchips Wed 17-Sep-08 16:46:55

If you chop the onions, carrots and celery very very small and fry for ages (more than 20 mins) on a very low heat your dd will not see them as they will melt into the sauce. Use mince quite high in fat (or fry off some bacon or pancetta) and cook off the tomatoes so that they only add a richness to the brown of the meat. - it will look like just mince but taste much nicer

Mercy Wed 17-Sep-08 16:47:08

My ds is a very fussy eater so tbh I wouldn't make it in a different way to suit him because that's what he would expect if he were offered it at someone else's house.

If it's lumps or bits that dd doesn't like how about a jar of passata?

witchandchips Wed 17-Sep-08 16:49:48

would challenge any child to find the veg is this recipie (and it is "authentic)
click here

ImnotMamaGbutsheLovesMe Wed 17-Sep-08 16:50:24

Tis done.

DD not happy. Told her it was different and we shall see if she eats it.

ImnotMamaGbutsheLovesMe Wed 17-Sep-08 16:51:28

She eats shepherd's pie with almost no fuss, and half a meatball but nothing else with mince really. But loves chicken and fish!

ImnotMamaGbutsheLovesMe Wed 17-Sep-08 16:55:22

YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

She ate it!!!! grin

Mercy Wed 17-Sep-08 17:00:45

Wow, I'm impressed!

ImnotMamaGbutsheLovesMe Wed 17-Sep-08 17:06:57

DS1 loves tomatoes, DD hates them. I had tomatoes on toast practically every day when pregnant with DS, about twice when having DD.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now