Talk

Advanced search

Shoot me down in flames ..... How early can I make my Christmas cake?

(9 Posts)
murphyslaw Wed 17-Sep-08 15:37:50

Yes I know - but I am a student and my course starts in October and I will be flat out until Xmas. Looking to get ahead. Have made it in November before but never earlier. Is this possible??? hmm

TheProvincialLady Wed 17-Sep-08 15:39:53

Perfectly possible, in fact it will taste even more delicious. But what a shame, you may have to add a little extra alcohol at the drenching stange to help it stay moistgrin

NoblesseOblige Wed 17-Sep-08 15:41:12

hell yes. the longer the better as it will just sit there marinading away in booze! i have a tier of my wedding cake in my loft that's nearly 3 years old and absolutely fine.

<<whispers>> i've started xmas shopping - organisation is the key to success grin

MaureenMLove Wed 17-Sep-08 15:41:52

We made ours 2 weeks ago! As TPL says, you'kk just have to pour more booze on it, to keep it moist! What a shame! grin

Katisha Wed 17-Sep-08 15:44:22

<Gets out flame thrower>

WHOOOOOSH!

lizziemun Wed 17-Sep-08 16:18:05

A fruit cake wrapped in greeseproof paper and foil in an airtight tin will last for years (providing your dad doesn't find and eat it then not tell your mum who only finds out when she goes to mazipan cake a week before christmas hmm grin.)

BTW I always make my cakes in sept/oct for christmas.

twoluvlykids Wed 17-Sep-08 16:19:25

usually make mine at oct half term. sooner is better, as already posted

murphyslaw Wed 17-Sep-08 16:32:48

thanks everyone - I am going to dust off my bottle of brandy! grin

Katisha Wed 17-Sep-08 16:54:33

<Sets fire to brandy>

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now