Talk

Advanced search

Is there anything that says 2YO can't have natural yoghurt?

(21 Posts)
mamadiva Wed 17-Sep-08 08:41:49

He doesn't have any food intolerences (sp?) or anything like that.

I had mentioned to a friend that I tried one of DS's yoghurts the other day have tried a few duifferent kinds and they are all so foul, full of ingredients that I don't even know and they are expensive although he does seem to like them.

I was thinking about buying natural yoghurt and adding mashed/blended fruit to give it some natural flavours for him but friend said that children under 5 shouldn't have natural yoghurt.

Does anyone know if this is true?

RhinestoneCowgirl Wed 17-Sep-08 08:42:56

Why ever not? Don't know where your friend got that one from. Natural yog and mashed fruit sounds great.

mamadiva Wed 17-Sep-08 08:50:17

I have never heard that either just wanted to confirm LOL.

Something to do with calcium and apparently theres something in the little fromage frais which is gopod for them.

Wonder if that's the additives or the flavourings?

Will save money to I reckon, does anyone know if you can freeze it in batches IYKWIM.

RhinestoneCowgirl Wed 17-Sep-08 08:51:57

"there's something in the fromage frais that's good for them" - sounds like she has been sucked in by advertising puff to me...

Not sure about freezing, sorry

WouldYouCouldYouWithAGoat Wed 17-Sep-08 08:52:47

lol @ 'something in ff that is good for them'. you might find that your ds will reject natural yoghurt if he is used to teh children's ones. yeo valley fruit tumbles are delicious and fairly good for you. you could try those and then gradually mix in natural yoghurt to wean him off.

mawbroon Wed 17-Sep-08 08:58:53

Go for it, but he might not like it after the sweet ones.

I have always given my ds natural yog and fruit since he was a year old and he loves it.

He has goats milk/yog etc now because a nasty tummy bug left him intolerent to cows milk, and despite the goats yogurt being really quite sour, he shovels it down and asks for more.

Your friend is talking pants methinks.

mamadiva Wed 17-Sep-08 09:02:27

LOL BTW I love the Broons mawbroon.

Yes I found that one a little strange too I must admit but she is a trainee nurse. (At clown college perhaps?)

Mawbroon can you freeze it and are there any tubs that are good for portion sizes?

Daft question I know but I just want to get everything in for it.

PuzzleRocks Wed 17-Sep-08 09:08:00

Mamadiva

I have been blending various fruits with natural or greek yoghurt since my daughter was 10months and she is a picture of health. She loves her home made smoothies. Blend away I say!

Arbuthnot Wed 17-Sep-08 09:08:03

I don't see why you couldn't freeze it as the Yeo Valley tubes have freezing as a suggestion. We have them frozen instead of ice-cream a lot. I am not sure what they would be like defrosted though. You could freeze yours in ice cube trays and eat them like that.

Oh and it is complete rubbish that they can't have natural yoghurt before 5. Petit Filou etc are full of sugars and have no more calcium than any others. I agree that she has been sucked in by advertising. If she is a trainee nurse let's hope she doesn't decide to be a HV cos she already is talking the utter tosh they often do!

mamadiva Wed 17-Sep-08 09:38:41

Does anyone ahve an easy recipe for totally home made yoghurt or is natural yog best way to go?

mawbroon Wed 17-Sep-08 13:49:15

Hmm, freezing is fine if you are going to eat it as a frozen dessert or something, but I think it goes a bit watery if you just try to defrost it.

Re home made yogurt, it is perfectly possible. I have a yogurt maker, but I think you can just do it in a flask. You would need a few spoonfuls of live yogurt to start it off with and using UHT yogurt means that you don't have to boil and cool the milk first.

Tbh, when value natural yogurt is around 40p for a big pot, I would be inclined just to buy it.

tokentotty Wed 17-Sep-08 13:51:15

why not just make a fruit puree, freeze it in ice cube trays and then just defrost one/two a day to stir in to fresh natural yogurt ?

cyanarasamba Wed 17-Sep-08 13:53:33

IMO the only reason babies get fromage frais is that it is a LOT less messy than yoghurt....

I gave natural yoghurt from about 8 months, would have used sooner, but I like to wean very slowly.

Ds loves it with honey.

thebecster Wed 17-Sep-08 13:54:42

lol, something in the little fromage frais that's good for them!

I give my DS natural yoghurt with mashed fruit or a little honey. He's quite sensitive to sugar and the little fromage frais things make him unbearably hyper. If they can eat flavoured yoghurt with sweeteners & added sugar they can def. eat natural yoghurt!

Lakelover Wed 17-Sep-08 15:08:14

A lovely thing to add to yog is apricot puree. If you can get hold of the unsulphered (sp?) ones which are dark brown -they have a lovely caramelly flavour. I soak them first though in boiling water - they're delicious and full of iron. I often have them on my porridge!

CatIsSleepy Wed 17-Sep-08 15:21:10

what could be wrong with natural yoghurt?
i guess alot of it could be the very low fat stuff which might not be great....? that is really the only thing i can think of that might make it less good for little kids.
go for the full-fat greek stuff and add what you like...

LazyLinePainterJane Wed 17-Sep-08 15:27:35

I think that "something" in the fromage frais is copious amounts of sugar and flavouring grin

DS has eaten natural and greek yoghurt since he could eat grin

Flibbertyjibbet Wed 17-Sep-08 15:31:14

Mamadiva were you talking to my sil? She thinks that all children are SUPPOSED to have petit filous, because the advert tells you that they have calcium. Er, so does any other milk based product...

Since weaning our boys have only had greek style natural yoghurts with things added depending on what we have in the cupboard

Dried pinapple and raisins
Sesame and sunflower seeds

If you chop up unsulphured (the dark ones) apricots small, mix that in then leave for a few hours its deeeeelish.

Sil thinks that we are cruel 'making' our children eat horrible natural yoghurt.. and not 'proper' childrens food.

I used to make my own yoghurt but its very tangy and quite runny compared to shop bought stuff. Full fat greek yog is the stuff for kids in this house.

zippitippitoes Wed 17-Sep-08 15:32:31

where do people get these styrange ideas from hmm

littleducks Wed 17-Sep-08 15:51:39

i think the not before 5 thing may be because children are supposed to have full fat dairy products until then, so natural yoghurt is fine but not adult diet yoghurts or low fat yoghurts.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now