Talk

Advanced search

silicon bakeware

(30 Posts)
lucysmam Tue 16-Sep-08 21:27:40

where can I get in failry inexpensively? As my LDC stuck (again) & my flap jack stuck the other night sad so I'm thinking these may be a better idea

Also, does anyone disagree and have any tips I could try for stopping things sticking before I go and spend my cash on more 'stuff'?

Thank-you smile

NotQuiteCockney Tue 16-Sep-08 21:40:50

You know, I have got silicon bakewear, and I don't like it at all, I find things stick in it loads. (But then, I'm always cooking carrot cake type things.)

I find nonstick metal pans are the best, and I line and oil them if the cake is something likely to stick.

Nat1H Tue 16-Sep-08 21:42:45

I have some silicone bakeware, but it's not great. In fact, it's only good for things like mince pies and jam tarts!
I generally use Tesco non-stick baking parchment - now that's great!!

lucysmam Tue 16-Sep-08 21:53:40

non stick baking parchment, rather than greaseproof I take it?

Will add that to my shopping list

NotQuiteCockney, oil rather than grease with marg or butter?

elliephant Tue 16-Sep-08 21:55:05

Another fan of Tesco baking paper here. Have loads of silicon baking stuff but rarely use it. Too much faff trying to leave things to cool for just the right amount of time- too little and only half comes out, too long and it sticks. Baking paper best option imo. Use it for all baking .

whooosh Tue 16-Sep-08 21:57:09

I find Lakeland silicon baking sheets (think that's what they are called) bloomin' fantastic.Obviously no good for cakes/muffins but anything which requires a baking sheet just slides off-and it's easy to clean!

elliephant Tue 16-Sep-08 21:57:52

I remember reading ages ago that you should never grease with the same fat that you use in a recipe. So if you use butter, grease with marg etc. You don't need to grease when using baking paper, which is different to greaseproof btw.

lucysmam Tue 16-Sep-08 22:05:51

ellie, that's my something new for today learned!

Might pop to local Tesco in morning since I've eaten half of the cake already blush & it was meant for pud tomorrow as well as tonight & oh's packed lunches

NotQuiteCockney Tue 16-Sep-08 22:10:02

I use greaseproof paper.

I grease with the same oil I'm cooking with - when it's butter, I use butter because I think it's better to grease with, when it's not butter, I use the oil to keep the recipe dairy-free, iyswim.

Huggle Tue 16-Sep-08 22:18:01

Lakeland's loaf tin liners are fab. I mostly bake rectangular cakes now!

dizzydixies Tue 16-Sep-08 22:20:21

tkmaxx, tis fab grin

SheSellsSeashellsByTheSeashore Tue 16-Sep-08 22:22:54

the non stick lasagne dish is what i use for flapjacks and they never stick. and at £1.75 you cant really go wrong.

fishie Tue 16-Sep-08 22:27:20

i love sillicon. quick swipe with an oiled bit of paper and nothing sticks. doesn't get the nice crispy caramelising of metal though. my sili sandwich tins are best thing i've ever made a cake in.

MrsMuddle Tue 16-Sep-08 22:41:09

Love silicone too. I get mine from TK Maxx. I got a load of le creuset ones from there recently. I'm loving the round cake mould with the hole in the middle!

LivvyW Tue 16-Sep-08 22:44:06

Bake-O-Glide a re-usable, dishwasherable, kind of greaseproof paper. Buy it in a roll and cut the shapes of your trays/tins etc.

I store mine with the relevant tray/tin and never have to grease anything, or fiddle about with parchment.

Everytime i use it i think, what a great invention.

It seems a bit pricey but if you bake, it's worth it.

LivvyW Tue 16-Sep-08 22:48:03

Always think silicon gives a sort of 'sweaty' finish.

WhirlingStirling Tue 16-Sep-08 23:15:30

Agree with Huggle - I buy the cake tin liners (I think £3 or £4 for 40). I think they are great!

lucysmam Wed 17-Sep-08 10:07:21

Cake tin liners, right! Will try them if baking parchment doesn't do the trick then

Also going to google bake-o-glide & investigate

Thanks for tips/suggestions. Sure I'll end up trying them all at some point whilst trying to perfect my LDC (which is not very lemony this time but still scrummy)

AccidentalMum Wed 17-Sep-08 10:46:24

Quality Save sell it cheap sometimes. I love it, makes baking so much quicker for me. Fairy Cakes just pop out straight from the oven.

lucysmam Wed 17-Sep-08 12:03:58

See there's sooo many mixed reactions I now don't know whether to bother or not hmm

LivvyW Wed 17-Sep-08 13:16:35

Bake-O-Glide would be cheaper in the long run that replacing all with silicone, or continually replacing cake liners or parchment. Can't recommend it enough.

I only use muffin trays as its easier than keeping track of 24 little circles of bake-o-glide. Also find them useful for freezing mini portions of anything, stock, herbs, or cheese sauce, pasta sauce for dd.

Should also add that silicon tongs and silicon spatulas are fantastic. Especially with non stick pans.

lucysmam Wed 17-Sep-08 13:48:13

LivvyW, I can only find bake-o-glide liners for cake tins/microwaves & stuff like that. Is it just those or do they sell trays for baking in as well? Doesn't really matter if not though, they look like the sort of thing I have been looking for so will be investing either way when I get paid

LivvyW Wed 17-Sep-08 13:57:10

First time to try a link so here goes

www.aga.ie/catalogue/index.cfm?fuseaction=productDetail&prodID=2723

LivvyW Wed 17-Sep-08 13:58:04

Oh Wow ...it worked... I'm a technical genius!

LivvyW Wed 17-Sep-08 13:59:39

or this

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now