Talk

Advanced search

Question about eggs . . .

(13 Posts)
lucysmam Tue 16-Sep-08 18:33:05

Sent oh to get eggs on market while I went for something else as we were pushed for time. He has got me 12 of the smallest imaginable eggs!

Was going to make a LDC this morning but I've been debating how many eggs to actually use all day, as the recipe I have says 3, but 3 of the eggs I have is about 1 and a half of the eggs I would normally have bought if getting them myself. How many eggs do I use? Or do I just go to the shop tomorrow & pay extraordinarily huge co-op prices for 6 large eggs like I'd normally buy?

That'll teach me to get oh to go egg shopping I guess hmm

lucysmam Tue 16-Sep-08 18:46:46

anyone? please? before oh sits down to watch footy & I'm bored to tears with nothing to keep me busy

ecoworrier Tue 16-Sep-08 18:47:14

I usually reckon on a medium-ish egg weighing 2 oz. So weigh your eggs and use approx 6 oz-worth.

Marne Tue 16-Sep-08 18:48:09

I would use 5

norksinmywaistband Tue 16-Sep-08 18:48:39

An egg weighs 47g once shelled according to wiki

ClareVoiant Tue 16-Sep-08 18:51:33

aparently the average egg weighs 58grms, so i guess you could, in theory, weigh put your teeny tiny eggs on the scales until you get as close to 180grams or just over? then that would be the equivalent of 3 average eggs.

GentleOtter Tue 16-Sep-08 18:51:38

Has he brought you quails eggs?
Try adding four eggs and if the mixture is not right then add another bit by bit.
All eggs seem to have gone up in price (except for the seller) due to the high cost of feed.

lucysmam Tue 16-Sep-08 18:51:54

wow!! I didn't actually think anyone would suggest weighing but that's a brill idea. if i weigh them according to wiki that should be spot on. Thanks very much, I am no longer doomed to watch footy!!! yay grin

lucysmam Tue 16-Sep-08 18:53:41

GentleOtter I don't think so. The man I usually buy them from only sells ducks eggs & chicken eggs. But he may have gone to the stall next to him.

How would I know if they were quails eggs?

ClareVoiant Tue 16-Sep-08 18:56:24

lol norks, i googled it. 58 grams is shell on. so yes, 150grams shell off, weigh in a bowl.

lucysmam Tue 16-Sep-08 20:47:22

Marne, you were spot on! 5 eggs is what it took! So I still have the eggs I need for the rest of the week without paying extortionate co-op prices grin

Thank you all smile

(P.S. I've made a note of this so I don't end up having to ask again)

Marne Wed 17-Sep-08 09:27:35

Good guess grin

I am a baker/chef (cooked alot of cakes)

lucysmam Wed 17-Sep-08 10:03:19

oh, well in that case I'm glad I asked!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now