Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

How can I cater for both cake-lovers and dieters at my coffee bash?!

(25 Posts)
Birdly Tue 16-Sep-08 12:34:58

I've got a group of friends coming round next week for coffee, and in amongst them are a couple of serious dieters and a couple of serious cake-devourers.

Has anyone got any bright ideas re what I can offer to eat that might suit both parties? I know I can do a plate of cake and a plate of fruit, but it does put temptation the dieters' way - and if I put out just fruit, I think the cake-lovers might shed a tear! grin

Any advice welcome!

seeker Tue 16-Sep-08 12:36:08

I would put out fruit and cake. Their decision. But I'm hard, me!

Huggle Tue 16-Sep-08 12:38:15

Just put out both!

I don't mind missing out on cake so much, if there's a lovely plate of prepared fruit to munch on instead.

Or how about low - fat cereal bars? Or even low fat cakes as well as the normal ones? (Most supermarkets sell those cake slices which are less than 100 cals each, and only about 3% fat and they are quite nice!)

HTH

Overmydeadbody Tue 16-Sep-08 12:38:16

There are some great recipes for low calorie fruit based deserts, hang on a minute and I'll see what I can find, then you could just offer two things, a cake and a 'healthy' option desert

MmeLindt Tue 16-Sep-08 12:41:36

When I was doing Weightwatchers I used to save points to use for going to friends house, I would not expect them to make a lowfat cake.

I would also be disappointed if there was fruit as an alternative because then I would feel like I really should eat that rather than the cake I really wanted.

<<ponders the reasons why she hasn't lost the last 10kgs>>

<<resists posting LET THEM EAT CAKE>>

sarah293 Tue 16-Sep-08 12:43:36

Message withdrawn

MrsMattie Tue 16-Sep-08 12:43:45

Who eats fruit at a coffee morning? Coffee goes with cake.

Put on cake and maybe (if you are feeling generous) one low fat option - fat free muffins or some such dullery.

If you're on a diet you shouldnt be eating at coffee break anyway!

notwavingjustironing Tue 16-Sep-08 12:44:32

what about a fat-free sponge? They are really easy to make (but do them on the day as they go stale really quickly).

ja9 Tue 16-Sep-08 12:46:21

i think cake and fruit.

ime the problem with dieting is only eating at meal times when i really want to 'pick' all day. I'd be able to resist cake (ahem, usually) if there was something else i could eat.

nice of you to be so thoughtful grin

Overmydeadbody Tue 16-Sep-08 12:49:31

How about meringues with strawberries?

compo Tue 16-Sep-08 12:49:50

what about cake and a packet of jaffa cakes, less sinfulthan the aerage biscuit

cremolafoam Tue 16-Sep-08 12:50:42

cut the tray bakes into tiny tiny morsels.

Overmydeadbody Tue 16-Sep-08 12:51:21

make a fat free swiss roll, fill it with strawberries and dust with icing sugar

compo Tue 16-Sep-08 12:51:35

meringue and strawberries?!
definitelty don't serve pudding with coffee, people might think you're odd wink

Overmydeadbody Tue 16-Sep-08 12:53:01

Actually, make fat free swqiss roll cakes, cut into circles with a glass or biscuit cutter, top each circle with sliced fruit of your choice, and top with a meringue.

Individual cakes for everyone!

For the non-dieters, add a layer of cream before adding the fruit

PoorOldEnid Tue 16-Sep-08 12:53:23

make lovely cakes and laugh at the dieters

PoorOldEnid Tue 16-Sep-08 12:54:00

seriously, frak the dieters

they'll be happy with black coffee

make lovely squidgy cakes for everyone else

Overmydeadbody Tue 16-Sep-08 12:55:21

why would people think you're odd? I'd rahter be offered a home made pudding than a packet of jaffa cakes with my coffee grin

PoorOldEnid Tue 16-Sep-08 12:56:22

any diet should be able to incorporate a slice of cake once in a blue moon

Cies Tue 16-Sep-08 12:59:33

Put out both. But be prepared for the dieters having "oh, just a little bit" of cake.

Birdly Tue 16-Sep-08 13:07:05

Thanks for that - great responses!

Am going to have to make a cake, I think, if for no other reason than I love both making and eating cake myself! [selfish emoticon] grin

The dieters can always have a tiny bit - as you say, Enid, I'm sure the occasional treat is fine.

We've usually got plenty of fruit in, so if any of the slimmers are feeling hungry but virtuous I can always bung an apple their way! grin

OrmIrian Tue 16-Sep-08 13:08:15

Not your business to cater for dieters IMO. If they can be that easily tempted they ain't going to stay the course.

<hard-nosed bitch emoticon>

WhirlingStirling Tue 16-Sep-08 13:23:36

I make Delia's Low Fat Moist Carrot Cake regularly and it tastes great.

Don't know how many calories a slice though - I just know it tastes good grin

StealthPolarBear Tue 16-Sep-08 13:25:05

fruit meringues?

cremolafoam Tue 16-Sep-08 13:54:06

nigellas mini pavlovas
filled with fromage frais and finely dliced strawbs

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now