Talk

Advanced search

Corn on the cob question!

(11 Posts)
redclover79 Tue 16-Sep-08 12:24:55

I have a couple of sweetcorn plants at the allotment that are nearly ready to bring home, but I've no idea how you cook corn on the cob other than on a barbecue blush
I'd imagine you can roast them but is that the only option?
Also, am I right in thinking that you can dry the kernels to make popcorn?
TIA!

TheArmadillo Tue 16-Sep-08 12:26:23

you can boil them whole for a few minutes (abdout 7 I think) or wrap them in foil (with herbs and butter if you like) and stick in the oven for 15 mins.

DaisySteiner Tue 16-Sep-08 12:26:24

You can boil them too, just stick them in a pan of water until tender and serve. You can dry the kernels for popcorn but it seems a shame when eating it fresh is so much nicer and popcorn kernels are cheap to buy.

Overmydeadbody Tue 16-Sep-08 12:27:51

Boiling them until tender is the nicest most unadulterated way imo.

Or you can cut the kernels off and use them in all sorts of things.

redclover79 Tue 16-Sep-08 12:49:02

Thanks for your replies, I will try boiling a couple and a couple in the oven!

scaryteacher Tue 16-Sep-08 14:44:16

wrap tightly in cling film and cook in the microwave until tender - works every time.

ecoworrier Tue 16-Sep-08 15:09:08

Just make sure you do it quickly - they really do deteriorate once picked!

We had some for tea the other night - less than an hour between picking and eating, lovely!

breadgirl Tue 16-Sep-08 15:14:03

I find steaming them is better than boiling.

BlingLovin Tue 16-Sep-08 15:21:38

Ooooooh, must add my tip - to tell if they're cooked when boiling (and to avoid over cooking which makes them HORRIBLE), lift one out of the water and if a single piece of corn comes off easily when you stick a fork underneath it, it's done. often they're overcooked.

redclover79 Tue 16-Sep-08 16:03:29

more ideas, thanks! will definitely not leave dp in charge of cooking as he can overcook anything without trying!

jimmyjammys Tue 16-Sep-08 19:59:52

Definitely in the microwave - much sweeter then boiling it and you keep all the nutrients in. Keep the leaves on it still and give them a quick soak in water - put them on a plate - pour another couple of tablespoons of water on top and microwave on high for about 5 - 6 mins. They are one of the few vegetables that cook well in the microwave. Serve with lashings of salted butter.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now