Talk

Advanced search

Poached salmon.

(15 Posts)
DustyTv Tue 16-Sep-08 11:04:05

Does anyone have a nice poached salmon recipe, maybe with mashed potatoes or something.
I saw Gordon R do a poached salmon recipe the other day but I cant find it anywhere. It looked really nice.

Can anyone help.

Overmydeadbody Tue 16-Sep-08 11:18:03

I do a nice poached salmon with white wine and fish stock, bay leaves, lemon juice, and parsley, but I just add it all to a fish kettle, bring it to the boil, turn off the heat and leave it for 4 hours, but it's kind of fancy and uses a whole fish, you could easily adapt it for fillets.

Overmydeadbody Tue 16-Sep-08 11:19:13

For fillets, put them in an oven dish, add all your stock and wine, cover with cling film and bake in the oven for 30 minutes.

Overmydeadbody Tue 16-Sep-08 11:20:37

I like to sefve it with horseradish sauce and new potatoes and a salad.

Overmydeadbody Tue 16-Sep-08 11:21:21

Or you can poach it in milk witha bay leaf and black peppercorns, then when it is cooked use the milk to make a white sauce for the fish.

DustyTv Tue 16-Sep-08 11:35:46

Omdb, they all sound really nice ,thank you. Would I be able to do the fillets in a slow cooker, with milk then use the milk to make the sauce.

Incidentley I have never made my own parsley/white sauce blush How do I do that?

Overmydeadbody Tue 16-Sep-08 11:44:32

Yes you could do the fillets in a slow cooker, but tbh they won't take more than half an hour to cook, so i'd be inclined to just do them in a lidded frying pan type thing on the hob, otherwise the fillets might all break up?

Quick hollandaise sauce:

Ingredients - makes about ½ pint/300ml

2 egg yolks
Fresh lemon juice
250g unsalted butter, melted
1 tablsp cold water
Salt
pinch Cayenne pepper

In a Blender put 2 egg yolks, squeeze in about 1tablespoon of fresh lemon juice and add 1 tablespoon of cold water.
Put the lid on the blender ( or you’ll have a re-decorated kitchen - take it from one who knows!) and turn it on.
Open the plug in the middle and with the blender still going, slowly pour in the hot melted butter. Whizz until thick.
For a lighter sauce, add a little egg white to the yolks.
Season to taste with Cayenne, Salt and more lemon juice if desired.

basic bechamel sauce (white sauce)

For parsley sauce, one the white sauce is cooked, add lots of chopped parsley, a drizzle of cream and a swueeze of lemon juice. You will probably want to halve the white sauce recipe too as you won't need much parsley sauce. You can thin it down with more milk or cream if it is too thick, to get it how you want it.

DustyTv Tue 16-Sep-08 11:51:16

Tanks, I will do it in the pan then. Thank you for the sauce recipes. My DD loves salmon so I wanted to try something other than steamed salmon and veg for her.

DustyTv Tue 16-Sep-08 12:11:47

Oh and I forgot to add would it work if I used frozen smoked salmon? Or does it have to be fresh?

Overmydeadbody Tue 16-Sep-08 13:59:58

I doesn't have to be fresh but don't use smoked salmon (is that what you meant?).

Overmydeadbody Tue 16-Sep-08 14:00:47

How about a fish pie with the salmon too then? Your DD will like that if she likes salmon and mash anyway.

DustyTv Tue 16-Sep-08 20:53:45

Thanks Omdb, I have some frozen smoked salmon in the freezer waiting to be used up, but I will buy some fresh non smoked salmon to do the recipe. Thanks.

WilfSell Tue 16-Sep-08 20:54:55

heh heh heh, when I asked the fish counter lady in Tesco about whole poached salmon she told me to do it in the dishwasher grin hmm

I didn't. But was intrigued.

DustyTv Tue 16-Sep-08 21:20:47

ha lol, I have heard about cooking a whole salmon in the dishwasher. I would but I cant now as my dishwasher broke down a few weeks ago sad

DustyTv Thu 18-Sep-08 11:25:57

Omdb, thank you. The salmon recipe and white sauce is delish. I made parsley sauce with it and even DH liked it. DD loves it and ate it with gusto. It is so easy to make.

We are having DD's god parnets round at the weekend for dinner so I am going to do this recipe again.

Thank you
grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now