Talk

Advanced search

I know someone asked about basil the other day but,

(14 Posts)
lucysmam Tue 16-Sep-08 10:15:28

I just want to clarify something for myself. If I strip the leaves off it (not very green fingered & some of them are starting to look a bit wilted) do I chop them up to freeze in ice cubes?

Thanks xx

MrsJamin Tue 16-Sep-08 10:39:09

I think so - then you can put the ice cubes straight into what you're cooking.

I remember the basil thread too! My plant isn't looking as green but other than that it seems ok.

Overmydeadbody Tue 16-Sep-08 10:41:53

yy

you can chop it up and freeze it in ice cubes

finknottle Tue 16-Sep-08 10:43:38

I found freezing too faffy. Now I cut it all off, stalks and all, leave it to dry on the kitchen windowsill and then holding onto the stalks, crumble the dried leaves into a ziplock bag. Keeps its flavour pretty well, just found a bag I must have done in the spring and it was OK.
Think the trick is not to leave it drying too long.

lucysmam Tue 16-Sep-08 10:54:45

really fink? I didn't think about doing that with it! Not that I have any space on my windowsill for anything atm hmm

Will it grow back if I chop all the leaves off? Just so I don't go and throw it away will it grow back if I strip it all? Or will it die? Cos I'd feel awful killing it by hacking it up even though I'm not doing a great job of looking after it

Overmydeadbody Tue 16-Sep-08 11:01:55

In my experience it will die, but I am rubbish at keeping little basil plants alive.

lucysmam Tue 16-Sep-08 11:03:35

Oh

Now I feel like a basil plant murderer sad But I have a feeling it won't live much longer anyways the way I get on with plants, so maybe am doing it a favour hmm

Cheers OMDB

Overmydeadbody Tue 16-Sep-08 11:08:43

Another thing you could do is put the leaves (chopped or unchopped) in a little glass jar covered with oil. The oil will preserve the leaves and you can just take them out when rewuired and all to your cooking. I do ths sometimes to use in tomato sauces.

Overmydeadbody Tue 16-Sep-08 11:09:07

And you get nice flavoured oil too!

finknottle Tue 16-Sep-08 11:16:49

Oil is yum, must do that again.

Usually they die, but they're annuals anyway so have a short life and are hothoused so not v resilient, no great Tragedy imo, and I hate wasting anything.
This summer before the children & I went to visit my parents, I cut down 2 plants as I knew my plant-neglecting h would forget to water them. They grew back, maybe better variety as I grew them from organic seed? Nice surprise anyway.

lucysmam Tue 16-Sep-08 11:34:45

Think I'll try the glass jar covered with oil thing. Will look pretty too!

After reading that fink, I will leave it a while after I cut it down to see if the leaves grow back. But I won't keep my fingers crossed.

Cheers for the info smile

finknottle Tue 16-Sep-08 11:43:27

smile

glowersintheattic Tue 16-Sep-08 11:52:33

If you're keeping the basil in oil for a long time you need to make sure you don't give yourself botulism!

http://www.foodscience.csiro.au/oilvine.htm

lucysmam Tue 16-Sep-08 12:00:53

hmmmmmm, maybe freeze it then after all. Just in case

Althought it would be used quite quickly

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now