Talk

Advanced search

breakfast cereal recommendations please

(27 Posts)
LetThemEatCake Mon 15-Sep-08 19:31:54

my dc (9months and 2yo) seem bored with endless bowls of porridge and weetabix and keep begging dh for his crunchy nut cornflakes- but it's quite high in sugar

can anyone recommend an alternative? many thanks!

moondog Mon 15-Sep-08 19:34:00

Why do you need an alterantive?
The rest are processed and/or fuill of sugar too. We have too many choices.

Seona1973 Mon 15-Sep-08 19:34:15

we have a choice of cheerios, rice crispies multi-grain shapes (used to be called muddles), shreddies, rice crispies and on the odd occasions even wheetos!!

forevercleaning Mon 15-Sep-08 19:34:57

give him the crunchy nut cornflakes - it wont kill him or rot his teeth if you clean them after.

iamdingdong Mon 15-Sep-08 19:35:35

mine love (own brand) shreddies, rice crispies, bitesize shredded wheat, muesli

FeelingLucky Mon 15-Sep-08 19:36:06

nut free muesli
shredded wheat

Boyswillbeboys Mon 15-Sep-08 20:31:14

Ready Brek and Weetabix seem to be the only ones without much sugar - also shredded wheat. Can you add fruit, yoghurt etc to make it a bit more interesting? Once they get the taste of sugary cereals you won't be able to go back to the boring healthy ones!

TheDevilWearsPrimark Mon 15-Sep-08 20:33:09

What about something other than cereal?

I sometimes do greek yoghurt with crushed digestives for the DC, and fruit.

Poaxhed egg on wholemeal bread?

jkklpu Mon 15-Sep-08 20:36:24

To vary the cereal, I given mine different fruit each day, sometimes stewed, eg apple, pears, blueberries, brambles, sometimes fresh, eg raspberries, peach/nectarine, banana, sometimes dried, eg apricots, prunes; blends are tasty, too. You can add cinnamon/nutmeg for variety, especially to the blander fruit. Then you can get to the point where the kids choose the fruit themselves - if you keep stocks in the freezer - and it's much tastier than just the cereal.

FeelingLucky Mon 15-Sep-08 21:26:12

btw - don't you think the problem would be solved if your DH just stopped eating crunchy nut cornflakes? would be better for him too if he ate a proper breakfast.

TheDevilWearsPrimark Mon 15-Sep-08 21:36:06

fgs, my exH used to have four espressos and a fag for breakfast. What is so bad about crunchy nut cornflakes?

shrooms Mon 15-Sep-08 21:42:02

What about if you mixed them up with the healthier cereal for a treat, or just allow it one day a week.

My kids sometimes have healthy muesli type cereal ect but with a layer of their sweeter stuff on it.

TheDevilWearsPrimark Mon 15-Sep-08 21:47:02

Muesli actually has an insane amount of sugar.

But sugar is not the devil as part of a healthy diet.

Denny185 Mon 15-Sep-08 21:51:45

Let them have, they will soon get bored and want something else smile

Failing that try jazzing up the porridge and weetabix - add fruit, yogurt, honey

Bowddee Mon 15-Sep-08 21:55:41

DS has Coco-Pops Moons & Stars atm.

DH couldn't find Rice Crispies Multi-Grains so let DS choose. hmm

shrooms Sat 27-Sep-08 10:27:02

TDWP, had to specify that we have actual muesli, not that crunchy granola stuff wuth loads of added sugar. We use something like alpen no added or homemade with chopped dried fruit and nuts, oats and various flakes such as buckwheat.

notsoteenagemum Sat 27-Sep-08 10:40:48

Cornflakes?? with some nuts but aren't they to young to be bored with cereals, mine have ready brek in the winter and cornflakes in the summer they are 8 and 4 no compaints yetgrin

CapricaSix Sat 27-Sep-08 10:53:01

TBH, i'm getting pretty relaxed about cereal. I used to make sure dd only ever had the "healthy" cereals, but the older she got, the more i started thinking about the crap cereals me & my dsis ate a lot of when we were growing up, and we loved them, so now i think sod it, & tend to have something "nice" alongside a couple of healthy cereals. dd has 2 or 3 bowls for breakfast anyway, and mixes & matches all the time (sometimes all of them together in the same bowl!). She loves her breakfast!

Atm it's a pretty healthy range - proper cornflakes (from abel & cole) Bodymatter Oat Crunch (again from Abel & Cole), Shreddies, berry & flake muesli (from Abel & Cole!) and usually there's also Weetabix and porridge on offer too! But I've just ordered some chocolate stars for next week, and recently we also had Sugar Puffs shock grin.

Thing is, the rest of the time dd has mainly healthy snacks & healthy meals, so imo it doesn't really matter if she has a bowl of crappy cereal for breakfast occasionally.

CapricaSix Sat 27-Sep-08 10:53:47

Oh PS we had coco pops Rocks the other week, YUM! grin

Othersideofthechannel Sat 27-Sep-08 11:35:28

Quaker Oats Crunchy

NorbertDentressangle Sat 27-Sep-08 11:40:19

Our DC frequently have what we call " a right old mixture" -its bascially a way of feeding them the same old cereals that they normally have but making it exciting wink

They just mix and match a few different ones in the same bowl (usually a couple of the "healthier" ones and one more sugary one) -livens up an otherwise dull breakfast in their eyes

lardybump Sat 27-Sep-08 12:00:30

I dont think 9mo should have nuts should they??? Please correct me if I am wrong but I thought that you are advised to wait until over 2?????? I get dd cow and gate toddler balance cereal, they do 3 types of them in asda...

Seona1973 Sat 27-Sep-08 19:51:13

if there is no history of allergy then nuts are ok from 6 months. My ds had smooth peanut butter from 8 months and loves it. If there is a history of allergy then you are advised not to introduce nuts till the age of 3. Whole nuts shouldnt be given till the age of 5 as they are a choking hazard. The baby cereals are a big rip off - you dont get much for your money and they only last a few days.

CapricaSix Sat 27-Sep-08 21:53:43

yeah my dd had smooth peanut butter from quite early on too (no history of allergy here).
She's been eating whole nuts for a while, she's just 5, v crunchy ones like peanuts just recently.

shortcircuit Sun 28-Sep-08 00:01:21

My DD's are currently enjoying ready brek, which I add a small tsp of coco powder + tsp of fruit sugar.

Sugar is the devil, regardless of whether it's part of a healthy diet.

Abel & Cole cereals sound nice.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now