Talk

Advanced search

I have decided I would like to make . . .

(24 Posts)
lucysmam Mon 15-Sep-08 18:25:43

some chicken wrap type things with salsa on them like from kfc, the chicken/salad is easy enough. But, how do you make salsa to go on these? & is it the same stuff you dip dorito's in?

Thanks smile

lucysmam Mon 15-Sep-08 18:26:16

ooh, and, how would you make the tortilla type things they come in, or would they be better bought?

Overmydeadbody Mon 15-Sep-08 18:30:03

better to buy the tortilla wraps, too much faf to make tbh!grin

Salsa easy to make, lots of varieties, do you want a chillie one, a zesty tomato one or more of a red onion one?

Try googling salsa recipe and see which ones take your fancy (and yes it's like the stuff you dip doritos into, but obviously home made is far superior!grin)

Overmydeadbody Mon 15-Sep-08 18:33:16

ok, my bog standard salsa:

4 large tomatoes, skinned and chopped finely
2 red onions, chopped finely
handful finely chopped coriander
half a red chilli chopped
1 garlic clove crushed
lemon juice
salt and pepper

Mix it all together, preferably a few hours before serving so the flavours can come out and marinate.

Lovely.

lucysmam Mon 15-Sep-08 18:38:21

oooh, OMDB I didn't think about what sort of one! I would google but its far easier to ask on MN!!! Get a quicker and easier to understand response tbh, I struggle to get what I actually want when I google

How much lemon juice? Or just a splash?

Overmydeadbody Mon 15-Sep-08 18:42:16

as much as you want!grin

It really depends on how lemony you want it.

Lime juice is a good substitute too.

Obviously don't add too much or you'll end up with a very liquidy salsa that drips out of the en of the wraps

Yes MN is easier than just googling, I agree.

MaureenMLove Mon 15-Sep-08 18:42:50

Lucy, you're house must be filled with wonderful smells of good home cooking! Every thread I've read of yours lately is about food! grin Good for you!

I make one with fresh corriander, chopped red onion, toms (skinned & diced) and some olive oil and vinegar. I also buy soured cream sometimes and add some chopped chives. Much nicer than the shop bought ones and even better a day after you've made it!

Overmydeadbody Mon 15-Sep-08 18:44:30

you can also add:

tabasco sacue

avocado

green tomatoes or tomatillos (for a green salsa rather than a red one)

and sweet peppers, finely chopped

Overmydeadbody Mon 15-Sep-08 18:45:31

yes I Agree with Mo Lucy, well done on all the cooking! (and when will we get an invite to sample these delicious wares of yours?)

lucysmam Mon 15-Sep-08 18:50:34

lol OMDB, when I have a huge house you're all welcome. Don't think more than 3 would fit in our little house! grin

The house is full of lovely smells Maureen, it's fab being able to actually make something myself rather than buy everything ready made. & it gives me a retreat if the lo is a PITA or I'm bored on an evening

what are tomatillos? never heard of those?

Overmydeadbody Mon 15-Sep-08 18:57:07

like little green unripe tomatoes. They look like this

You might find them in your local asian supermarket grin

lucysmam Mon 15-Sep-08 18:57:47

lol, cheers OMDB, will have a look in there when I next go wandering

lucysmam Mon 15-Sep-08 19:46:02

OMDB, when you say garlic clove crushed . . . (daft question alert) . . . do you actually crush it?

Overmydeadbody Mon 15-Sep-08 19:48:31

lol

I crush it in a garlic press, looks something like this

MaureenMLove Mon 15-Sep-08 19:49:10

'spect she means either bash it with the flat side of a knife or use a garlic press if you've got one. Just cut it really small if you can't manage either! You just don't want big lumps of it, since its going to be raw!

Overmydeadbody Mon 15-Sep-08 19:49:32

but, if you didn't have a garlic press, just chopping it up finely will do, but you'll need to rub your hands with lemon juice afterwards to get rid of the smell from your fingers.

TheDevilWearsPrimark Mon 15-Sep-08 19:51:02

I'd finely chop the garlic, crushing ruins it.

Are you planning to southern fry the chicken?

Overmydeadbody Mon 15-Sep-08 19:52:33

Nah, crushing doesn't ruin it at all.

MaureenMLove Mon 15-Sep-08 19:55:59

Did you know.... that if you put a whole clove of garlic, with a tiny slit in it, in the microwave for about 30 seconds, you can squeeze it out like paste?

Just thought you might be interested! grin

Overmydeadbody Mon 15-Sep-08 20:00:23

ooooh I will try that next time I'm at work Mo! (no microwave here at home)

lucysmam Mon 15-Sep-08 20:13:48

well, I didn't know about lemons removing garlic smells! Or about being able to squeeze it like a paste! Learning something new every day atm smile

OMDB, where do you work?

TheDevilWearsPrimark, I have some cajun seasoning I got from asda which tastes pretty much like the KFC chicken coating so was going to use that. We usually just have salad with it but I have a craving for a KFC but there's not one close enough to nip to sad

Overmydeadbody Mon 15-Sep-08 20:18:04

lemon good for removing fish smells too.

I own a catering business lucy, making healthy frozen ready meals grin so do a lot of cooking!

lucysmam Mon 15-Sep-08 20:20:32

oooh, lots of taste testing too I bet? I'd be a willing tester for you grin

Overmydeadbody Mon 15-Sep-08 22:37:20

lol

Needless to say, DS and I practically live off frozen ready meals grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now