My DM (Dear Mum) has given me the following from her allotment:
large courgette
small pumpkin
runner beans
beetroot
cabbage (large)
potatoes
carrots
We're on a bit of an economy drive so want to stretch these provisions as far as they will go.
At the moment we're thinking of making cabbage soup (will have to buy lardons), carrot soup (bit boring, I know), beetroot and runner bean salad, and no idea what to do with courgette and pumpkin.

Anyone want to inspire me?

TrinityRhino Mon 15-Sep-08 11:01:02

oooh rissoto with the courgette and pumpkin

priceyp Mon 15-Sep-08 11:04:41

Veggie curry: courgette, green beans (at the last minute) pumpkin and carrots. All you need are spices, tinned tomatoes and some lentils or beans. Add potatoes too if you like.

Next day add some stock to the left overs and whizz it up into soup in the blender.

Cabbage and carrot, make into coleslaw with mayo and teaspoon of cream. Grate the beetroot in if you like.

Roast the beetroot and steam the cabbage to eat with chicken and jacket spud.

There's always ratatouille too!

Just a few ideas - hope that helps!

RubySlippers Mon 15-Sep-08 11:05:22

courgette makes a really nice soup or

griddle it in strips, cook a load of onions in a teaspoon of oil, salt, pepper, cumin and curry powder and then layer it with the griddle courgette

pour over a jar of pasta sauce (or tinned tomatoes) and bake for 20 mins

you can also add aubergine and/or chickpeas

it is really tasty

pumpkin - roast it and it will be delicous or steam and mash it instead of potatoes

priceyp Mon 15-Sep-08 11:05:49

Sorry meant add the beans at the last minute, potato, carrots, pumpkin all need longer grin

FeelingLucky Mon 15-Sep-08 20:46:39

thanks everyone.
any chance of getting a recipe for courgette and pumpkin risotto from you Trinity?

TrinityRhino Mon 15-Sep-08 21:52:18

hiya

I have never made pumpkin and courgette risotto but it sounds lovely
I love risotto
sorry
BUT I have been and nicked a recipe for pumpkin rosotto off times online

stick some courgette in there too
it'll be great grin

INGREDIENTS

Serves 8

Prep 15min
Cook 40min

700g pumpkin, rindless and cleaned
2.5 litres home-made meat or chicken stock
90g unsalted butter
8 shallots, very finely chopped
Sea salt
1tsp sugar
1 large bunch of flat-leaf parsley
600g Italian risotto rice
Ground black pepper
150ml double cream
90g grated parmesan

METHOD

Cut the cleaned and prepared pumpkin into 1 cm cubes. Heat the stock to simmering point. Heat the butter and the shallots in a large, heavy saucepan and add 1 tsp of salt, which will help the onion to soften without browning, and the sugar. Cook for 5 min. Chop the parsley, add half of it to the pan, cooking for a further 5 min. Stir frequently.

Add the pumpkin and cook until just tender. I cannot give an exact time because it depends on which variety of pumpkin or squash you are using. Some take 5 to 10 min, others 20 min, in which case you will have to add a ladle of hot stock to the pan.

When the pumpkin is tender right through when pricked, stir in the rice and sauté for 1 or 2 min until the grains are well coated in the butter. Pour over about 450ml of simmering stock and stir thoroughly.

Bring the liquid to a lively boil, turn off the heat and cover the pan tightly. You can now leave the rice, and return to the kitchen a quarter of an hour before you want to serve dinner.

Bring the broth back to simmering point. Add a knob of butter to the rice, which will have absorbed all the broth and be half cooked. Mix two ladles of hot broth into the rice and continue cooking, gradually adding a ladle of broth at a time until the rice is ready. If you finish the broth before the rice is cooked, add boiling water. This risotto should be more creamy and runny than other risottos.

Season with pepper and check the salt.Add the cream and half the parmesan. Turn the heat off and leave for a minute for the cheese to melt and the flavours to blend.

Stir the risotto vigorously and heap it on a heated round dish. Sprinkle the remaining parsley all over the steaming, golden mound and serve at once, handing around the remaining cheese separately in a bowl.

TrinityRhino Mon 15-Sep-08 21:53:58

and on the econmomy thing

oxo chicken stock
whatever you spread you bread with
onions
and cheddar will be fine too wink

Huggle Mon 15-Sep-08 21:58:43

Courgettes - frittata!

kidsrus Mon 15-Sep-08 22:07:50

starter:pumpkin and marrow/(courgette) soup

main:good old lamb with runner beans, potato,carrotts and cabbage served with gravey sounds good to me.

desert: beetroot/carrot/pumpkin cake with custard.

i don't have the recipes i usually make them up as i go using basic recipies that i adapt.
eg: fruit cake with different fruit/veg.

kidsrus Mon 15-Sep-08 22:08:56

hehe huggle iv'e seen that egg ad too!lol

FeelingLucky Tue 16-Sep-08 09:28:36

All sounds yummeee.
thanks for recipe Trinity!

TrinityRhino Tue 16-Sep-08 11:55:14

your welcome, let me know how it goes
I might try it then grin

OrmIrian Tue 16-Sep-08 11:57:34

Roast the courgette and pumpkin with olive oil and garlic cloves.

And soup can be made of anything.

Cut the bean and carrots into long strips and stir fry with some fresh tomatoes chopped in and garlic and perhaps a few chillies.

kitbit Tue 16-Sep-08 11:57:43

grate carrot and courgette, add finely chopped red onion, mix in with 2 portions of cooled white rice or basmati, throw in basil, mint and coriander, squeeze over 3 limes, chuck in some peanuts, then heat 3 tabs white wine vinegar and 6 tabs fish sauce in a pan, when warm dissolve 2 tabs demerera sugar in it, and chuck it over the top. yummmmm

dontbitemytoes Wed 17-Sep-08 12:17:36

add caraway to your carrot soup - is absolutely yummy!

cherrieberry Wed 17-Sep-08 22:36:13

courgette cake....grated courg instead of carrots in cakes

charchargabor Wed 17-Sep-08 22:38:46

You could make this carrot and lentil soup, it's really filling and so yummy! I make it about twice a week.

madlentileater Wed 17-Sep-08 22:42:06

pumpkin pie

slug Thu 18-Sep-08 17:45:57

Coleslaw with the cabbage and carrots.

Beetroot makes a nice curry or pickling it is very easy. Just boil till cooked, cool, peel (the skin should just slip off) then slice it, put it in a non metallic container with vinegar and a pinch of sugar and salt. This will keep for quite a while and is nice in sandwiches/burgers/salads etc.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now