Talk

Advanced search

Can you freeze meringue?

(7 Posts)
boogeek Sun 14-Sep-08 18:24:48

We are going away with friends and I offered to take pavlova bases - would make life a bit easier to make them now and freeze for a couple of weeks: has anybody tried it?

DumbledoresGirl Sun 14-Sep-08 18:30:53

You don't really need to. Meringue easily lasts 2 weeks. I make batches of meringues and treat them as cake, ie store them in an airtight container, and they are fine for weeks.

boogeek Sun 14-Sep-08 18:32:17

Ohhh. Really? Will they get drier and drier though - I like them sticky in the middle!

boogeek Sun 14-Sep-08 18:32:58

PS Thank you!

DumbledoresGirl Sun 14-Sep-08 18:34:53

LOL no IME the exact opposite, they get soggier. Or mine do anyway. Those that get left a long time seem to go chewy and soft in the middle, but that is nice if the meringue is a pavlova (I think!)

boogeek Sun 14-Sep-08 18:35:43

Excellent - I will just leave them lying about then. (Oh. But I don't have airtight containers large enough for a pav base!)

DumbledoresGirl Mon 15-Sep-08 09:16:51

No big cake tins?

Actually, I was thinking about this question last night (sad, I know). I think I did once freeze meringues. I did a whole load of baking just before my first child was born and shoved the lot in the freezer (and very handy it was too, having so many cakes etc to hand when people called). Anyway, I am pretty sure that one of the things I put in the freezer was a batch of meringues, so perhaps you could try it. (Just don't blame me if I am wrong!)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now