Talk

Advanced search

Scrambled eggs

(16 Posts)
Bumperlicious Sun 14-Sep-08 10:24:58

What are your tips for making scrambled eggs?

Mine always turn out pretty bland and rubbery. What do you add, if anything, to make them taste more tummy. I don't add salt at the moment because I am usually making some for DD too. How do I make them light and fluffy?

lulumama Sun 14-Sep-08 10:27:05

melt butter over a low heat, whisk up your eggs with a drop of milk or cream and then pour into the pan... keep it on a low, low heat and keep it moving constantly... got to cook it really slow.. turn heat off before it is done, as the heat will cook them a wee bit longer.. don;t let them cook too long..

Bumperlicious Sun 14-Sep-08 10:29:45

See, now I think I over cook them in between trying to make 5 pieces of toast in a 2 slice toaster!

Bumperlicious Sun 14-Sep-08 16:55:26

Bumping for more advice on the precarious balancing act on making a good brunch?

PuppyMonkey Sun 14-Sep-08 16:58:59

I do the same as lulumama... bit of milk makes them much nicer and stir all the time until you think it's NEARLY done - then turn off heat.

Brown bread toast with butter, plus salt and pepper (for you, not dd) afterwards makes all the difference. And you must always have a glass of fresh orange juice with it too. That's the law you know! grin

lulumama Sun 14-Sep-08 17:00:11

make toast in the grill and you can make 5 pieces at once

for extra luxury,snip some strips of smoked salmon into it just before you turn off the heat

DrNortherner Sun 14-Sep-08 17:04:15

Ah you see I used to whisk eggs first, then ad milk. Untill I married dh (a chef) who makes delicious scrambled eggs every time.

This is how he does it (and me now!):

Start making toast first
Melt butter in pan over a low heat
Crack eggs straight into pan
Stir gently with a wooden spoon
Keep stiring
Take off heat when they still look slightly under as they will continue to cook

Voila - perfect eggs!

Bumperlicious Sun 14-Sep-08 17:23:56

Hmmmm, interesting drnortherner. But wonder if you need to be a top chef to pull it off?

DrNortherner Sun 14-Sep-08 17:25:38

It'd only stirring some eggs!

CostaRicanCod Sun 14-Sep-08 17:25:59

farkk me afetr yesterdays macaroni chees thread, tomorrow

" how do i boil water"

chloemegjess Sun 14-Sep-08 17:28:06

Drborthener - so you don't whisk them at all then? I like the idea of putting them straight it - Less washing up!

DrNortherner Sun 14-Sep-08 17:30:38

No wisking! I thought they would never turn out right but they so do!

Lilymaid Sun 14-Sep-08 17:33:05

We do ours in the microwave, with butter but without extra milk. Stir frequently and finally remove from microwave before it is as solid as you would like - give it another stir and you will find it will continue to cook.

DrNortherner Sun 14-Sep-08 17:35:36

My method is how Gordon Ramsay does his (it's from his book)

Flibbertyjibbet Sun 14-Sep-08 17:47:26

Why more washing up if you whisk? I put the eggs in a non stick pan and whisk, so its only a whisk extra washing up. Wooden spoon to keep them moving as they cook very slowly.
I don't like Gordon Ramsays scrambled eggs, he did them once on the F word. Said they HAD to be still wet, yuk. I like my eggs 'done' but not rubbery, but NOT NOT NOT still wet, urghghghghg.

Oh and when feeling particularly northern grin, I like a dollop of brown sauce on them.

chloemegjess Sun 14-Sep-08 18:03:18

Cause we used to whisk in a cup first - I don't know why though thinking about it!! Wont agaiN!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now