Talk

Advanced search

Christmas Cake

(16 Posts)
Rhubarb Sat 13-Sep-08 15:34:04

Is a bit shit and no-one really likes it, they only say they do because it's traditional, but really they feed it to the dog or stuff it down your sofa when you're not looking.

MrsThierryHenry Sat 13-Sep-08 15:41:30

I rather like it actually.

(actually I'm only posting here because I've just seen your 'boring thread' thread - guffaw!)

grin

Seeline Sat 13-Sep-08 15:42:33

Very popular in our house - DD who will eat virtually nothing loves it!

expatinscotland Sat 13-Sep-08 15:43:11

i like it.

it's like eating a shot of brandy rather than drinking it.

LaDiDaDi Sat 13-Sep-08 15:48:00

Oh I loved the one I made last year. Very very nice grin.

northernrefugee39 Sat 13-Sep-08 16:06:13

Oh g-d- my friend's West Indian mum made he most amazing christmas cake ever- it was really moist and had stuff like dried soaked peaches and stuff. She adapted another recipe and I can honestly say it was gorgeous.
The secret being to soak the fruit in loads of alchohol- eg rum/brandy...yum...

HeinzSight Sat 13-Sep-08 16:07:09

northern, post recipe post recipe pleeeeeeeeeeease!!

SalsaMo Sat 13-Sep-08 16:10:48

Ours all gets eaten too. But only by the people who are not driving. Mucho rum to soak fruit before baking and then weekly top ups until Christmas! First top up was yesterday actually! grin

SuperPsychoTrollSlayer Sat 13-Sep-08 16:13:04

so that is why my sofa grows green fur each xmas.

HOW could I have been so dim.

ta rhuby, you have given me reprieve to never slave over xmas cake again.

<<mutters more about full-moonswink>>

MrsThierryHenry Sat 13-Sep-08 16:16:01

Actually I make a very good Xmas cake. It's an Italian recipe, made primarily from ground almonds and walnuts - v little flour - soaked in amaretto and slathered in rich, dark chocolate. It is amazing, and I take no credit - the River Cafe girls published their recipe in the Guardian some years ago. Three cheers to River Cafe!

northernrefugee39 Sat 13-Sep-08 16:25:36

Heinz- there is no recipe- she was very evasive and said it was adapted and changed from several in her family.
I made a Nigella one I think- but added soaked fruit- peaches, figs, dates as well as the usual ones from the recipe- which I'd soaked for about a month in brandy, and I added extra ground almonds ( for moistness) and dark muscavado sugar.
It was really good- but my friend's mum's was the best and I can't replicate it.

MrsThierryHenry Sat 13-Sep-08 16:28:17

What is it about people being so evasive about sharing good recipes? It's the Bree van der Kamp syndrome - I don't get it. What are they so blardy afraid of? Starting a culinary WW3? Why not just share the love, man?

northernrefugee39 Sat 13-Sep-08 16:44:31

grin I think she sort of made it up- an instinctual recipe. I have those- don't you- where you throw it in and it works, but it's never written. Half a cup and a tinsy bit more thing.
It was a kind of passed down famous family one this cake.
I'm really sorry tho' because it was fantasic... my mouth is watering just thinking about it...

Tortington Sat 13-Sep-08 19:23:01

i agree - xmas cake is trez shit - and i don't know of anyone personally that actually buyes, makes or eats xmas cake

Soapbox Sat 13-Sep-08 19:29:28

Totally shit in my view. Gives you chronic indigestion as well as dealing with the tooth cracking icing!

We like a nicely decorated sponge cake and because DH rather likes fruit cake, I make a Dundee cake for him for New Year.

Tortington Sat 13-Sep-08 19:30:09

soapbox is eminantly sensible.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now