Talk

Advanced search

What, exactly, are you feeding your children for lunch and tea this weekend?

(21 Posts)
snickersnack Sat 13-Sep-08 12:12:26

dd (3.5) and ds (15 mo) aren't particularly fussy, though they aren't great with big slabs of meat. I feel like I give them the same things day after day - usually some variant of pasta with tomato sauce. Am really struggling for inspiration.

Lunch we eat together, tea they have on their own. The plan is baked beans on toast for lunch today with chicken and broccoli for tea, then noodles for lunch tomorrow and soup for tea. But that's more or less what they had last weekend. I don't think they care, but I'm getting very bored.

Overmydeadbody Sat 13-Sep-08 12:20:02

Well, DS is tucking into wholemeal pitta bread with cream cheese and apple right now.

Supper will be green lentils in tomato sauce and rice.

TOmorrow he'll have a packed lunch of cream cheese and apple sandwich (again), fruit and other snacks as we're out climbing.

Supper will be shepherd's pie straight out of the freezer.

Overmydeadbody Sat 13-Sep-08 12:23:28

meant to say, what you have planned for them sounds fine and quite nice actually.

It is boring cooking for a family day in and day out <sigh>

That is why I cook in huge batches and store it all in a big chest freezer. I just don't want to cook every day after work (especially as I'm a chef and have had enough of cooking by the time I get home).

DrNortherner Sat 13-Sep-08 12:27:02

My ds has gone to McDonalds for lunch with a friend <stone me now>

Dinner is sheperds pie (I'm making it now)

No Sunday lunch tomorrow as dh is working so ds and I will have sausages, bacon, beans, eggs and toast at about 11.00am, then probably soup for tea.

Mercy Sat 13-Sep-08 12:28:44

I was going to give noodles to mine for lunch today but dh has taken them out <ignores massive pile of ironing>

I will be making kedgeree either tonight or tommorrow - it's a first time for them so I don't know if it will be a success or not.

Meals that are popular with young children are things like

Sausage & mash
Roast chicken
Spag Bol
Fishfingers and chips

FAQ Sat 13-Sep-08 12:29:14

Nothing

<<<<<<<<<,because I'm child free this weekend grin>>>>>>>>

Tommy Sat 13-Sep-08 12:30:42

it is boring isn't it? Especially when they don't eat a great variety angry

Mine are out at the moment with DH - they may eat out or we'll have wraps with hummous, cheese, salad bits etc. For tea, they will have boiled eggs probably (v popular on Saturday afternoon!). Tomorrow we're going to have bring and share picnic so that could be anything. I haven't thought as far ahead as Sunday evening yet...

Overmydeadbody Sat 13-Sep-08 12:30:53

envy] at FAQ

verylapsedrunner Sat 13-Sep-08 12:33:43

Haven't "planned" anything...pasta normally fills the gaps grin

TheDevilWearsPrimark Sat 13-Sep-08 12:37:22

OMDB, how odd, my DC just had wholemeal pittas with cream cheese and garted apple.

We're having a sausage tomato and cannelini bean casserole with crusty bread for dinner, and watermelon and icecream for pudding.

Tomorrow it will be fig and cheese filled pasta for lunch with a leafy salad, and a roast chicken, lemony potatoes and greek salad for dinner.

Lilliput Sat 13-Sep-08 12:39:57

Ds has just has 2 boiled eggs and soldiers, dd had noodles and I had soup.
Tonight I am having margaritas for dinner (not the pizza variety wink) and the kids are having defrosted spag bol.
Lunch tomorrow will probably be chesse toasties or more noodles and tomorrow dinner is a fab chicken curry recipe from Hugh F-W. Dh fends for himself as he is not usually around for meatimes because of work (he's a chef) though he will have curry tomorrow as it is his night off. grin
My kids have a pretty monotonous diet puctuated with something different occasionally but they don't seem to mind.

womblingalong Sat 13-Sep-08 12:40:06

I do what OMDB does, freeze lots. So today: Lunch is butternut squash and sweet potato soup with bread and cheese and fruit for afters.

Tea is meatballs in tomato sauce with pasta or rice and yoghurt for afters

Lunch tomorrow is salmon with veg rice, choc mousse

Tea will be scrambly egg and toast or jacke pots with beans and cheese. fruit.

jenk1 Sat 13-Sep-08 12:41:59

Mine are having a packed lunch today and Mcdonalds for tea (Cos XDH has them and thats what he gives them).

Tomorrow will be

Bacon,Eggs,Beans and Toast.

Lasagne (homemade) for me and pizza for DS.

sort of things mine like to eat are:

DS-pizza,fishfingers,sausage and mash,chicken,mash and veg,spag bol

DD,Pasta cheese and broccoli (every day if she could!!!) and same as DS

TheDuchessOfNork Sat 13-Sep-08 13:07:51

This is for DH/me/6yo/5yo/3yo.

Saturday
Cereal/toast/bagels for breakfast
Yellow soup (ie. vegetable but high on sweetcorn) & bread for lunch.
Baked potatoes & cheese/beans or prawns & salad. Apple & blackberry crumble.

Sunday
Cereal/toast/bagels
Roast beef, yorkshire pdg, potatoes & veg. Not sure what pudding yet.
Sandwiches, salad. Cake or ice cream.

Sausage & mash or sausage casserole are favourites with mine. They also like meatballs & spaghetti, catalan chicken, chilli & rice, macaroni cheese, lasagne, lamb tagine & couscous, crab & prawn bake with Chinese side dishes, pizza and sometimes curry. Sadly, they hate beef casseroles.

InTheseShoes Sat 13-Sep-08 13:44:01

We've just had bread with halloumi and prawns and salad, DS2 (15 mths) had pasta bolognaise. For tea, we will have steak, potato wedges and mushrooms, DS2 will have homemade chicken nuggets with wedges and mushrooms. Tomorrow it'll be bacon, scrambled egg and toast for all with beans for lunch, and then a roast chicken dinner for everyone for tea.

Still in a bit of a phase where DS2 has different batch cooked and frozen stuff but slowly phasing that out

Majeika Sat 13-Sep-08 13:48:57

Breakfast was crumpets

Lunch is packed as DH has taken the boys to Rugby!

<ignoring the CRB check form I am supposed to be filling out!>

Dinner is Lamb Tagine with Couscous and HM lemon sorbet and pistachio biscuits

Tomorrow is

Bacon Sandwiches

Greek Salad for lunch

Chilli con Carne and Rice and Garlic Bread
(I know, GB with chilli but DS1 LOVES it!)

beansmum Sat 13-Sep-08 13:52:40

sat - porridge with golden syrup and banana
lunch out with grandparents, probably junk
pasta with pea and mint pesto (which he wont eat, it's green)

sun - porridge
roast beef, potatoes, veges (he wont eat this meal either)
spaghetti with meatballs

SmugColditz Sat 13-Sep-08 13:53:22

My God, I don't know!

Anna8888 Sat 13-Sep-08 13:53:31

Friday night: chipolatas (really lovely ones from the butcher) cooked in the oven; mashed potatoes; salad; bananas and/or yoghurt.

Saturday breakfast: croissant / pain au chocolat; smoothie

Saturday lunch: scrambled eggs; speck; green salad; cherry tomatoes; baguette; banana

squatchette Sat 13-Sep-08 14:09:45

Today -breakfast cereal for dd1 scrambled egg and mushrooms for dd2.DD3 copious amount of B.M (only 10 days old)
lunch-mini pork pies snack eggs cheese crackers and salad stuff.
dinner-Lamb Korma and rice then apple and blackberry crumble and custard.
Sunday-probably full english for breaky.Noodles or soup for lunch.Dinner beef casserole and mash with cream cakes for pud .
Off to pick our blackberries for the crumble now whilst the suns outsmile.

Cammelia Sat 13-Sep-08 14:24:01

Today: school lunch

Supper for dd will be at her friends house, she says they have requested macaroni cheese and it has been agreed smile

Tomorrow; big free range chicken roast lunch

Supper; don't know yet, probably salad and baked potato and camembert

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now