Talk

Advanced search

Any MN angel out there know how I can fix my bitter curry - and fix it quick?

(22 Posts)
worriermum Thu 11-Sep-08 16:50:18

Heeeeellp. Spent a fortune on lamb to make a splash dinner for tonight (family reunion). Followed a BBC Madhur Jaffrey recipe, and I have incredibly bitter curry. Why oh why? And how can I fix it?

masalachameleon Thu 11-Sep-08 16:57:54

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

GrimmaTheNome Thu 11-Sep-08 17:01:13

or coconut cream off a block (if you have it) if you don't want it runnier.

Maybe you burnt the spices or garlic?

what else is in the curry?

Carmenere Thu 11-Sep-08 17:03:12

A pinch of sugar or some coconut or some yoghurt or a combo of all three.

SmugColditz Thu 11-Sep-08 17:03:47

Sugar

vitomum Thu 11-Sep-08 17:04:08

sounds like tou could have burnt the spices. some yogurt could help - just don't let it splt. simmer v slowly

Marne Thu 11-Sep-08 17:04:52

Mango chutney?

Overmydeadbody Thu 11-Sep-08 17:05:33

What did you put in it?

I'd say what carmenere said. Definately some sugar.

littlelapin Thu 11-Sep-08 17:08:20

littlelapin Thu 11-Sep-08 17:09:04

worriermum Thu 11-Sep-08 17:35:58

THank you all so much for those suggestions. I don't have coconut milk or block coconut but I'll try everything else.

The ingredients were your bog standard ginger,garlic,onion paste mixed with ground coriander, cumin seeds, turmeric, cayenne peper, mustard seeds (all ground up together). What could be bitter in that? Anyway, I am off to try all those suggestions and will report back.

LLapin it wasnt that Madhur Jaffrey recipe- I'll try and link to the one I used as soon as I've tackled my 'orrible curry. (sorry, takes me ages to do anything techy. It's headed "spicy apple")

worriermum Thu 11-Sep-08 17:37:48

er, that would be "spicy LAMB" - I have also just put an apple crumble into the oven. Let's hope it comes out less jumbled than my posts!

littlelapin Thu 11-Sep-08 17:44:27

captainmummy Thu 11-Sep-08 17:44:28

lol. Spicy Apple curry and lamb crumble. Yum.

snigger Thu 11-Sep-08 17:45:35

Mango chutney mango chutney mango chutney.

Fixes damn near everything grin

Overmydeadbody Thu 11-Sep-08 17:45:36

it's the turmeric, without a doubt, that is makiong it taste bitter.

I hope you sort it out.

LL's suggestion of taking out the meat peices while tinkering with the sauce is good, then if you need to start again just make a new sauce but leave out the turmeric and make sure you don't burn the other spices. As the lamb is already cooked it won't take too long.

Overmydeadbody Thu 11-Sep-08 17:46:43

Lapin- you are getting rather fond of the word sans aren't you!grin

littlelapin Thu 11-Sep-08 17:59:21

worriermum Thu 11-Sep-08 18:06:53

Oh I love you all. And MN. Where else can one get instant curry counselling, superior links, kind but firm guidance for the addled with only the very gentlest hint of a snigger and all in ten minutes! Thank you, thank you.

Ok, I can report that sugar works very well, along with lashings of chutney and - believe it or not - lemon juice. Well, maybe. I chucked it all in together, in a panic, so it's hard to know what's tipped the scales. LLaping I doctored as you suggested, then mixed in yoghurt at the end....and you know, it's definitely edible. Bitter after tast, but edible.

LL that WAS the correct link: I swear I used to have a brain with synapses snapping an' all. But that was a very long time ago..

Thanks again. Off to stir the lamb crumble.

worriermum Thu 11-Sep-08 18:24:27

forgot to ask: OMDeadBody, how do you know it's the turmeric? Is it always a bitter spice? Or is it only if it gets burnt? Am I just using inferior turmeric?

Overmydeadbody Thu 11-Sep-08 19:42:30

turmeric has a bitter taste anyway, so you should always make sure you only add a very small amount (personally, I don't like the taste so leave it out alltogether so I'm probably biased!) and it also burns easilly when you fry it off in oil, so if you added it to the oil at the same time as all the other spices and the pan was very hot then it is most likely to be that. I would maybe add it after adding all the other spices and make sure the liquid goes in right after adding the turmeric.

HTH smile

GrimmaTheNome Thu 11-Sep-08 20:24:03

Turmeric is supposed to be very good for you though!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now