Talk

Advanced search

So, tell me about onions...

(2 Posts)
pinkmunkee Thu 11-Sep-08 12:15:46

I am learner cook so here comes a stupid question... It seems to me there are 3 main types of onion- normal (brown), red and spring. Am I right or are there more?

Also I cooked some special fried rice the other day and the recipe said spring onions but the supermarket didn't have nay so I left them out- can I use a different type of onion or will it not work?

ALSO sometimes the food I cook seems a bit bland- would adding onions help? I think ideally they could do with a bit of salt but my DS is very little so I don't like to add it- I do add it when I serve it up, but id there anything I can do during the actual cooking to help jazz food up a bit?

TIA. Please pardon my ignorance!

Donk Thu 11-Sep-08 12:26:38

Spring onions need less cooking (almost none!) than normal onions - you can use normal onions, but it would taste a bit different.

If you are finding food bland you could try adding herbs (or pepper/spices - I tried adding small amounts of spices when ds was small. He like 'curry' without the hot bits!)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now