Talk

Advanced search

Visitors arriving tomorrow, I have a shoulder of lamb and a slow cooker but no recipe books. Ideas please!

(5 Posts)
northender Wed 10-Sep-08 21:32:18

We are in the middle of building work and having a new kitchen put in. sil and hubby have just let us know they're arriving tomorrow. We don't want to eat out so I've got a lamb shoulder out of the freezer. Slow cooker would be the best option for me but all my recipe books are packed away.

Inspiration please. (Not too many ingredients either if possible!)

sophierosie Wed 10-Sep-08 21:40:57

ooh lamb is my favourite...

this looks nice

I do a recipe with a leg, but I'm sure it would be just as nice with shoulder.

Stud the lamb with garlic and rosemary and add some whole small red onion to the pan to caramlise in the juices - roast for however long is needed and then about 15 mins before cooked add a couple of tins of butter beans or similar to soak up the juices - tis delish! Serve with green beans and new pots the teh roasted onions or similar.

MrsFluffleHasAWuffle Wed 10-Sep-08 21:42:47

Similar to the above in the slow cooker, but with pearl barley, vegetables of choice and lamb stock cubes is absolutely delicious

northender Wed 10-Sep-08 21:54:48

Thanks, think I'll do something like the one you linked to sophierosie. Have all bar a couple of ingredients and that's only veg so I could substitute.

WilfSell Wed 10-Sep-08 21:57:51

My dad makes a paste with ground spices (turmeric, cinnamon, tiny bit of cloves etc) and oil; he studs the lamb (spiked with a knife) with pine kernels and raisins and rosemary; then completely covers the joint with the paste.

He then bakes it on a very low heat for as long as possible but at least 6-8 hours.

the paste turns into a crust and is delicious.

Serve with spiced couscous.

Delicious! no actual proper recipe though...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now