Talk

Advanced search

probably been done to death but, crumble topping

(12 Posts)
lucysmam Wed 10-Sep-08 08:53:46

If I wanted to make it a bit different, what could I add?

How about porridge oats? or coconut maybe?

or something else?

to go with some berries & apple

tia smile

Legoleia Wed 10-Sep-08 08:55:30

Apple - I'd add some oats and cinnamon!

MummyToOneForNow Wed 10-Sep-08 09:14:24

Oats, cinnamon, ground ginger, chopped nuts? I found a great recipe for a flapjack crumble here and added some chopped walnuts to it too.

PestoMonster Wed 10-Sep-08 09:16:09

I always do half & half flour and oats and then add in a good dollop of cinnamon. Demerara sugar too, for a bit of crunch.

gingerwench Wed 10-Sep-08 09:33:24

i add wheatgerm, oatmeal or porridge oats, cinnamon or mixed spice (not altogether though!) I avoid nuts for allergy reasons but the flavour would be good. Mixed spice is good for berries and apple. Always demerara sugar sprinkled on top.

ComeOVeneer Wed 10-Sep-08 09:35:12

BIL does one with added crushed Frosties which is interesting!

n5rje Wed 10-Sep-08 09:36:55

I have a recipe for a crumble topping for apple which includes cheese - I was sceptical about it but tried it and it was nice, you can't taste the cheese. I can look it out if you like and I'd agree with oats.

sadandscared Wed 10-Sep-08 09:49:53

I do half flour half crushed almonds, a spinkle of cinammon/mixed spice and some demerara sugar. Then poke little holes in it with a skewer. The holes create 'pockets' where the sugar goes all toffee like - yummy!

lucysmam Wed 10-Sep-08 10:18:13

n5rje, that sounds interesting. Would give it a go just out of curiosity! Could I have recipe please?

almonds, oats n cinnamon. Off to rummage in my cupboard, thanks all smile

ecoworrier Wed 10-Sep-08 12:23:37

spices, chopped nuts, different sorts of sugar, oats, muesli, a crumbled weetabix or two, some biscuit crumbs (amaretti biscuits are lovely! - a different crumble every time!

n5rje Wed 10-Sep-08 12:43:37

Here you are lucysmam, 130g plain flour, 75g unsalted butter, 50g porridge oats, 150g golden/Demerera sugar, 150g Cheshire cheese.

Sift flour, rub in butter to breadcrumbs
Stir in oats and 110g of the sugar
Break the cheese and scatter on top of the apples then put the crumble on top of the cheese.
Bake at 190/gas mark 5 for 25 mins or until the top is golden brown.
Let me know what it tastes like.

lucysmam Wed 10-Sep-08 14:23:26

oooooh, amaretti biscuits. I haven't had those for years! Will stick some on my shopping list for Friday since I've enough berries for another crumble or two. good idea ecoworrier!

n5rje, cheers, will try it out over the next few days smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now