Talk

Advanced search

just doing my shopping list, if you were making a potato bake type thing . . .

(29 Posts)
lucysmam Tue 09-Sep-08 21:03:52

would you use cream or a condensed soup or a cream of soup or what?

I thought cream but might be a bit heavy . . ?

tia smile

SmugColditz Tue 09-Sep-08 21:06:00

I'd use a tin of condensed mushroom soup

nowwearefour Tue 09-Sep-08 21:07:30

wot smugcolditz said

Carmenere Tue 09-Sep-08 21:07:30

No PLEASE don't use soup. It is full of shite salt and additives. Use cream or a mix of cream and milk. At least they are natural and they taste MUCH better.

SmugColditz Tue 09-Sep-08 21:09:52

they don't, you know, additives taste nice, and so does salt.

fourlittlefeet Tue 09-Sep-08 21:12:34

I layer onions and potatoes and then do eggs and milk and nutmeg and cheese and pour that over.

Carmenere Tue 09-Sep-08 21:14:03

They do. All you need to do is crush a clove of garlic and add a bit of salt and pepper and a stock cube if you must. If you can do that it means that you can cook something decent for your family.
It just drives me mad when I see recipes with condensed bloody soup in them, its not necessary, it is as easy to do it properly.

Carmenere Tue 09-Sep-08 21:16:30

Ingredients of Campbells Cream of Mushroom Soup:
WATER, MUSHROOMS, WHEAT FLOUR, VEGETABLE OIL (CORN, COTTONSEED, CANOLA AND/OR PARTIALLY HYDROGENATED SOYBEAN), CREAM, SALT, CORNSTARCH, MODIFIED FOOD STARCH, DRIED WHEY, SOY PROTEIN CONCENTRATE, MONOSODIUM GLUTAMATE, DRIED DAIRY BLEND (WHEY, CALCIUM CASEINATE), SPICE EXTRACT, YEAST EXTRACT, DEHYDRATED GARLIC.

fourlittlefeet Tue 09-Sep-08 21:19:54

oh yes, i put garlic in too

lucysmam Tue 09-Sep-08 21:23:50

there's a lot of STUFF in there Carmenere, think I'll go with cream. Not really clued up on what some of those things are n never read lablels tbh but I'll give your recipe a go. Thanks all smile

Carmenere Tue 09-Sep-08 21:29:25

I didn't mean to be a food fascist, I do eat the odd convenience product, I know what it is like to be wrecked and just want to shove something in the oven. But these cans of soup really irk me because they are just a result of excellent marketing by Campells (and it is a very American phenomenon that is taking hold over here) . And it really is so much nicer to make your own.

lucysmam Tue 09-Sep-08 21:55:17

I'm getting better in the kitchen, thats why I asked n you're right, it's not hard really. Will look forward to trying it

moondog Tue 09-Sep-08 21:56:27

Luc. I love yuor voyage of discovery!
I'd go with cream too, maybe a bit of grated cheese as well?

MrsMattie Tue 09-Sep-08 21:58:14

I just use a little bit of milk to add moisture (cream is too rich - barf). Salt & pepper, lots of thinly sliced onion (red onion if I'm in the mood), maybe some garlic and top with grated cheese for a bit of a crust. Yum.

elliott Tue 09-Sep-08 21:58:14

How do you make a 'potato bake type thing?' sounds like the kind of thing I should know how to do...does it freeze? grin

janeite Tue 09-Sep-08 21:58:17

Deffo cream not soup. Rub your baking dish with butter and a clove of garlic. Thinly slice potatoes and layer them with cream and grated gruyere, plus chopped garlic if liked and salt and pepper. End with more cream on top, then more gruyere and bake for at least an hour. Yum!

lucysmam Wed 10-Sep-08 08:06:02

moondog, I'm learning how to make loads of yummy stuff! It's fab! smile

cream n cheese on the top sounds good! & I prefer red onions so maybe pop a bit in too, was thinking of popping a leek or 2 in it.

janeite Wed 10-Sep-08 17:10:05

Yes, leeks and cream and cheese are fab together.

Another really easy version of this sort of flavour is to bake jacket potatoes, then scoop out the flesh and mix with grated cheese and sliced leeks that have been gently cooked in butter. Stuff it all back into the potato halves then bake until brown on top.

SaintGeorge Wed 10-Sep-08 17:12:49

I layer the potato with leeks, lob a few sliced mushrooms in and some chopped, lightly fried bacon.

Bang in cream, loads of fresh pepper and a big handful of grated cheese.

I'm hungry.

Mercy Wed 10-Sep-08 17:19:22

Do you mean one of those finely sliced potato bake thingies - gratin de pommes or something?

I just use finely sliced potatoes (obviously), lots of finely sliced onion, bit of garlic and some single cream (maybe a bit of cheese sometimes, gruyere or cheddar)

What are you going to have with it?

Mercy Wed 10-Sep-08 17:22:04

oops, just remembered pommes are apples!

toadette Wed 10-Sep-08 17:23:52

I do sliced potatoes baked with grated cheese, spring onions and cream

Overmydeadbody Wed 10-Sep-08 17:24:16

you just need cream and/or milk, salt and pepper, and layers of onion and potaot (I add sweet potato too). I amso sometimes substitute the garlic for a grating of nutmeg instead.

I would steer clear of the condensed soup, surely that overpowers what should be a very delicate tasting dish?

Overmydeadbody Wed 10-Sep-08 17:25:29

Potato Dauphinois, is that what you mean?

I add grated cheese too.

kiltycoldbum Wed 10-Sep-08 17:29:09

250ml each of milk and double cream in saucepan with 4 garlic cloves thinly sliced and 2 bay leaves, simmer for 5 mins, take out bay leaves, season with salt and pepper and a grating of nutmeg if feeling flash.

Pour over thinly sliced potatos bake in oven for approx 50 mins at 180, basically keep checking to see if theyre cooked by piercing with knife.

Add parsnips or celeriac to potatos for a bit of variety or use up the ones slowly wrinkling in veg box like me smile

flippin gorg grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now