Talk

Advanced search

What is your favorite homemade savoury pie?

(11 Posts)
LivvyW Tue 09-Sep-08 19:57:02

and what kind of pastry do you use?

LivvyW Tue 09-Sep-08 19:59:54

also meant to ask, what do you serve with it?

janeite Tue 09-Sep-08 20:05:05

Fry some onions until golden then stir into mashed potato with loads of grated cheese, salt and pepper. Stuff it into a flan dish lined with shortcrust pastry and bake until golden. Lovely with homemade baked beans or with a big salad.

bozza Tue 09-Sep-08 20:05:37

meat and potato made with stewing/braising steak done in the slow cooker with onions, mushroom, seasoning etc and short crust pastry. I serve it with whatever veg. It is a winter pie though really so some winter veg like swede and cabbage, maybe and obviously gravy that the meat was cooked in.

janeite Tue 09-Sep-08 20:05:39

Only for days when you don't mind a carb-fest though!

GrimmaTheNome Tue 09-Sep-08 20:09:43

Beef in ale (with onions and garlic, not too much else). Jus-rol flaky pastry, or topped with french bread slices soaked in garlic butter and crisped in oven for 30 mins which may not technically be a pie. serve with simple veg like carrots and green beans cos its quite rich and gravied. mmm ... its getting to the time of year when I really want to make that!

EachPeachPearMum Wed 10-Sep-08 11:39:07

Chicken and Vegetable- use chicken left over from a roast, some frozen mixed veg, white sauce, and shortcrust pastry. Yummy!

Overmydeadbody Wed 10-Sep-08 11:40:33

Cornish pasties.

Proper home made ones, not crappy puff pastry filled with mince shite.

Overmydeadbody Wed 10-Sep-08 11:42:05

Shortcrust pastry for cornish pasties obiously, and they are a meal on their own best served with lots of fresh mustard and salt and pepper <drool>

ComeOVeneer Wed 10-Sep-08 11:43:50

Chicken, mushroom and asparagus with puff pastry crust, served with peas and mash usually.

Cies Wed 10-Sep-08 11:46:35

mmm, I love pie. <drool>

But I haven´t made one for ages.

Might have to make some pasties. <surveys kitchen cupboard stores, makes shopping list>

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now