Talk

Advanced search

I want to make a PIE, I have puff pastry - what filling....

(16 Posts)
katierocket Tue 09-Sep-08 14:55:22

is
a) relatively quick/easy to make
b) will be accepted as non poisonous by PIA fussy knickers DS1

watsthestory Tue 09-Sep-08 14:56:00

Message withdrawn

OhYouBadBadKitten Tue 09-Sep-08 14:56:24

Jam!

palaver Tue 09-Sep-08 14:57:06

chicken and ham

(if she likes chicken and ham of course)

palaver Tue 09-Sep-08 14:57:24

or apple if it's for pudding

OMaLittle Tue 09-Sep-08 14:58:01

Cheese and ham? As in cheese/white sauce with ham in it? and maybe peas?

MadamAnt Tue 09-Sep-08 14:59:09

Tuna and sweetcorn (in white sauce)

singyswife Tue 09-Sep-08 15:01:21

sausage and bean?

cardy Tue 09-Sep-08 15:38:54

Do you have the dinner lady recipe book? There is a lovely beef and potato pie recipe in there. You need to cook the filling for 2hrs first and use good quality beef so that it is nice a temder.

I'll try and find the recipe if you like the sound of it.

katierocket Tue 09-Sep-08 15:45:29

Jam ?! grin

tis savoury I'm after
chicken and ham good but how do I make the sauce - is it just a white sauce? what it gives it taste

dinner lady cookbook sounds interesting - you have a link?

TheShipsCat Tue 09-Sep-08 15:50:10

Make a white sauce, but replace milk with chicken stock, add parmesan. If you're in a rush, buy a tin of chicken or chick/mushroom soup and use that instead.

Or a fish pie? Any old fish poached in milk, use the milk for the white sauce. Add sliced boiled eggs.

cardy Tue 09-Sep-08 16:34:05

The Dinner Lady

Can't find a link to the specific recipe and can't remember it. I am at work at the moment so don't have access to it.

There are some really good recipes in the book so it's worth the £13.99

BecauseImWorthIt Tue 09-Sep-08 16:35:58

cheese and potato pie? Mix together mashed potato with lots of cheese, poss spring onion/onion/chive if you like that. Season with lots of black pepper.

ChopsTheDuck Tue 09-Sep-08 16:38:16

chicken and asparagus.

Fry off some chopped leeks (or onions) in oil, then add chicken and brown. Add in a pint of stock, half a tub of philly or other cream cheese, a tbsp of wholegrain mustard and some chopped asparagus. Simmer til the asparagus is soft, add some tinned/frozen sweetcorn then place into pie dishes.

RedFraggle Tue 09-Sep-08 17:01:44

chicken and sweetcorn?

This is yummy. chicken breast cut into bite sized chunks and a tin of sweetcorn and a tin of chicken soup.

Mercy Tue 09-Sep-08 17:11:05

I think puff pastry works best as a pie crust rather than a whole pie (if that makes sense) as the base can go soggy - or for smaller things like vol-au-vent or mince pies.

Having said that what about a simple minced beef & onion or steak filling?

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: