Talk

Advanced search

I want to make a PIE, I have puff pastry - what filling....

(16 Posts)
katierocket Tue 09-Sep-08 14:55:22

is
a) relatively quick/easy to make
b) will be accepted as non poisonous by PIA fussy knickers DS1

watsthestory Tue 09-Sep-08 14:56:00

Message withdrawn

OhYouBadBadKitten Tue 09-Sep-08 14:56:24

Jam!

palaver Tue 09-Sep-08 14:57:06

chicken and ham

(if she likes chicken and ham of course)

palaver Tue 09-Sep-08 14:57:24

or apple if it's for pudding

OMaLittle Tue 09-Sep-08 14:58:01

Cheese and ham? As in cheese/white sauce with ham in it? and maybe peas?

MadamAnt Tue 09-Sep-08 14:59:09

Tuna and sweetcorn (in white sauce)

singyswife Tue 09-Sep-08 15:01:21

sausage and bean?

cardy Tue 09-Sep-08 15:38:54

Do you have the dinner lady recipe book? There is a lovely beef and potato pie recipe in there. You need to cook the filling for 2hrs first and use good quality beef so that it is nice a temder.

I'll try and find the recipe if you like the sound of it.

katierocket Tue 09-Sep-08 15:45:29

Jam ?! grin

tis savoury I'm after
chicken and ham good but how do I make the sauce - is it just a white sauce? what it gives it taste

dinner lady cookbook sounds interesting - you have a link?

TheShipsCat Tue 09-Sep-08 15:50:10

Make a white sauce, but replace milk with chicken stock, add parmesan. If you're in a rush, buy a tin of chicken or chick/mushroom soup and use that instead.

Or a fish pie? Any old fish poached in milk, use the milk for the white sauce. Add sliced boiled eggs.

cardy Tue 09-Sep-08 16:34:05

The Dinner Lady

Can't find a link to the specific recipe and can't remember it. I am at work at the moment so don't have access to it.

There are some really good recipes in the book so it's worth the £13.99

BecauseImWorthIt Tue 09-Sep-08 16:35:58

cheese and potato pie? Mix together mashed potato with lots of cheese, poss spring onion/onion/chive if you like that. Season with lots of black pepper.

ChopsTheDuck Tue 09-Sep-08 16:38:16

chicken and asparagus.

Fry off some chopped leeks (or onions) in oil, then add chicken and brown. Add in a pint of stock, half a tub of philly or other cream cheese, a tbsp of wholegrain mustard and some chopped asparagus. Simmer til the asparagus is soft, add some tinned/frozen sweetcorn then place into pie dishes.

RedFraggle Tue 09-Sep-08 17:01:44

chicken and sweetcorn?

This is yummy. chicken breast cut into bite sized chunks and a tin of sweetcorn and a tin of chicken soup.

Mercy Tue 09-Sep-08 17:11:05

I think puff pastry works best as a pie crust rather than a whole pie (if that makes sense) as the base can go soggy - or for smaller things like vol-au-vent or mince pies.

Having said that what about a simple minced beef & onion or steak filling?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now