Talk

Advanced search

URGENT question for those with SLOW COOKERS!

(39 Posts)

I'm doing a recipe that says it needs an hour on high then 2 hours on low. I wanted to put it on now for this evening. ARGH! What should I do? My slow cooker has settings for low, high and auto.

THANKS! (it's all ready to go in....should have checked the times first...muppet)

soremummy Tue 09-Sep-08 12:21:49

I would just stick it on low tbh. What are you cooking?

BecauseImWorthIt Tue 09-Sep-08 12:23:04

I would put it on low for now, then as soon as you get home put it on high?

But depends what you're cooking.

Hot and sour pork! I have a timer switch so I can bung it in and get it switch on while I'm out. Do you think low would be better in that case or auto? I'm not sure what auto is for...

Seared pork + green peppers, baby sweetcorn, pineapple, then mixture that you thicken in frying pan before pouring in of reserved pineapple juice and cornflour, chilli, ginger, hoisin sauce, white wine vinegar, soy sauce. I've never cooked it before

BecauseImWorthIt Tue 09-Sep-08 12:26:31

Silly question - don't suppose you still have the manual do you?! To find out what auto is for?

Have you done any pre-cooking, e.g. fried the meat/veg?

If you have, then I would think low would be fine - as long as you're not wanting to eat at 5 pm - would probably not be ready till 7?

(Just guessing, btw!)

The other alternative would be to put it on low, then as soon as you get in tonight try it and see how tender the meat it - you could always put it in the oven for an hour or so then.

No manual, that's lost in the mists of time afraid. Pork is seared already.

veg not cooked

soremummy Tue 09-Sep-08 12:30:17

Mine does on auto setting ... cooks high for a few hrs and then auto goes onto low setting

soremummy Tue 09-Sep-08 12:30:38

If you hang on i will get my book if you want

soremummy Tue 09-Sep-08 12:31:55

ok got book

Fab, thanks! Mine is a Haden one (bet yours isn't!)

So final verdict, auto or low?

impatient? Moi?grin

soremummy Tue 09-Sep-08 12:33:51

Mine is a very big one about 5 or 6 litres.
Most veg and meat combinations need 8/10 hrs on low, 4/6 hrs on high or 5/7 hrs on auto. When set to auto cooking starts at high and switches automatically to lo after several hours. hth

soremummy Tue 09-Sep-08 12:34:10

I dont type fast lol

soremummy Tue 09-Sep-08 12:35:24

Judging by my book high for it to be ready at about 5

Right, I'll put it on when I go out at 1pm on Auto I think. I want to eat it about 7.30pm. DOes that sound about right?

Rubyrubyruby Tue 09-Sep-08 12:36:34

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

soremummy Tue 09-Sep-08 12:38:49

Go for it . Yes I think so mine is on now. Doesnt use much energy and can just chuck everything in and leave it

soremummy Tue 09-Sep-08 12:39:55

I have even figured out how to do dumpling in it.... never thought they would cook but added them at end about 45 mins before serving and turned it to high they where lovely and fluffy.

Furball Tue 09-Sep-08 12:40:32

yes ruby they are - mines simmering nicely in the kitchen as I type! beef stew with swede, carrot and onion

cocolepew Tue 09-Sep-08 12:40:48

Auto switches from high to low after a couple of hours on mine.

bellavita Tue 09-Sep-08 12:41:26

yes they are - will be using mine tomorrow for stew as I am on a double shift so will put it on low in the morning before I go to work

I LOVE mine. Am a total convert. Brilliant for winter cooking. Basically prepare it at lunch and at dinner time your kitchen is clear (and smelling beautiful) and you have a hot meal ready.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now