Talk

Advanced search

What's in your lunchbox?

(12 Posts)
Botbot Tue 09-Sep-08 11:41:34

Need to economise so am going to take packed lunches to work.

Feeling very uninspired. Need ideas for things that are:

a) cheap
b) easy to make
c) don't make me go 'ew' and scurry off to Pret the minute I open the box.

So - what's in your box? I'd love to know!

JacquesStrap Tue 09-Sep-08 11:50:18

brocoli and tomato pasta salad. Boil pasta in stock, add brocoli and cherry toms, some pesto and creme fraise. Sprinkle on toasted pumpkin seeds if you want. I make a huge tub and we all have it.

Orzo is really tasty too, can just cook it and drizzle with herby oil, chopped sundried tomatoes, chives or spring onion and maybe some ham or sometyhing.

cremolafoam Tue 09-Sep-08 11:53:46

mini hummous- available in a stack from sainsb or tesco
bread sticks carrot sticks etc
make a big fruit salad with lots of berries at the beginning of the week and take a portion each day.
mini continental cheeses from tesco and crackers
2 part yogurts with museli or honey
go to marks and get a packet of rolls which are all different for variety -keep in freezer
fabulous bakin boys flapjack fingers
museli bars
or make your own on sunday
mini choc crepes from tesco or asda
juice boxes from lidl

spamm Tue 09-Sep-08 11:58:05

TBH I have a very nice simple ham and cheese sandwich with mustard, some carrot sticks, a cupasoup and a strawberry yoghurt.

I am also economising and I thought it sounded very nice until I saw the Broccoli and Tomato Pasta salad - yuuuum - I will try that for all of us.

bozza Tue 09-Sep-08 12:00:59

do you have a microwave at work? I am a big fan of leftovers. Or homemade soup and a pitta in winter. Today I have roast veg (courgette, mushroom, pepper, tomato, red onion) in a tomato sauce. Will reheat in micro. And a couple of oatcakes.

Botbot Tue 09-Sep-08 12:13:21

Thank you! Am liking all of these. Keep 'em coming.

We do have a microwave, so yes, leftovers are an option. I'm thinking of making some soup, too, but need to think of ingenious method of carrying it to work (Thermos flask?)

MarlaSinger Tue 09-Sep-08 12:17:37

These are perfect for carrying soup. Just loosen the lid when it goes in the micro, and presto! Hot soup.

cremolafoam Tue 09-Sep-08 12:19:31

something like this or even just a tupperware and then heat in microwave.
you could also bring chicken curry or stew for the dark winters.I often have to bring dinner as well as lunch and bring mashhed potato/champ/pasta in one of these.

rubyloopy Tue 09-Sep-08 16:32:47

Message withdrawn

asicsgirl Tue 09-Sep-08 16:38:41

my faves: baked potato in microwave
i love cold leftover risotto...
avocado and tomato sandwich <drools>

Botbot Wed 10-Sep-08 12:21:07

Am eating broccoli and tomato pasta salad as we speak - yummy. Thank you, Mr Strap.

brightwell Wed 10-Sep-08 19:41:15

I usually take cereal & fruit.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now