Talk

Advanced search

You professional cooks & bakers, can I have a word?

(7 Posts)
stirlingmum Tue 09-Sep-08 10:25:17

So, I can see the light at the end of the tunnel. Littlest dd will start school full time next August and I would like to work in an area I enjoy. I really enjoy baking, cooking and feel I am quite good [smug mode].

Lets say the lovely little cafe down the road that does homemade soup, lovely baking, and fantastic sandwiches was looking for someone in the kitchen, what qualifications would I need (or certificates etc) to enable me to apply for something like that?

I dont want to do anything too fancy, I am not thinking about michelin stars or anything!!

Your advice is much appreciated smile

Charlee Tue 09-Sep-08 10:27:57

A food hygiene certificate wouldn't hurt your chances. I don't think you really need any qualifications. Do you have any experience working with food or people? (customers) because that again will be a great advantage.

Carmenere Tue 09-Sep-08 10:28:18

Go and do an nvq in cookery in your local college. You will learn the basics, get all the qualifications you need and you will LOVE it.
I went to catering college a long time ago and loved it but dss is currently doing a level 3 nvq in catering and last year there were plenty of older women in his year. I think you could do one part time for a year and get enough qualifications to do what you want.

suzywong Tue 09-Sep-08 10:46:01

indeed
a food hygiene cert is a must before you start anything. Your local council will run them regularly. They are as easy as falling off a log if you have a modicum of common sense.

perhaps you could do your nvq part time while working there?

Agree with Carm, doing a stint at catering college will increase your confidence no end. You will also learn how to handle a Hobart.

stirlingmum Tue 09-Sep-08 11:04:24

A hobart??

I have dealt with customers before. With a very large company. Mainly over the phone, but sometimes face to face.

I shall ask council re food hygiene cert. I believe a college in the next town does catering couses.

Thanks so much for your help.

suzywong Tue 09-Sep-08 13:55:09

hobarts. Proper pro cooks toys. Mmmmmmmmm

stirlingmum Tue 09-Sep-08 14:11:57

Wow! Impressive Suzy!

That makes my poor old food processor feel quite inadequate.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now