Talk

Advanced search

Help!! Have run out of SR flour but have loads of plain flour....

(10 Posts)
Lubyloo Tue 09-Sep-08 08:54:23

can I just add baking powder or soda to it and if so how much per 100g? DD and I are in the middle of making cookies and we really don't want to go out in the pouring rain!

hopefully Tue 09-Sep-08 09:30:24

I did exactly the same thing yesterday, googled it and found a substitute. It was something like 0.5 tsp bicarb soda to 100g flour, and a tiny pinch of salt. Be worth double checking that, not sure if I'm remembering correctly!

Lubyloo Tue 09-Sep-08 09:44:57

Thanks hopefully. I did try googling it before I posted on here but could only find measurements in cups. Will try your measurements and let you know!

DaisySteiner Tue 09-Sep-08 09:46:20

Does it say on the side of the baking powder tub?

Lubyloo Tue 09-Sep-08 10:02:46

Great idea Daisy. Have just got out the tub and looked and it does....but...part of the label is missing. I can make out "Generally to use plain....raising flour add four level....225g of flour" Aaargh. Anyone got a tub of baking powder they can look at for me?

DaisySteiner Tue 09-Sep-08 11:41:38

I think that would mean 4 level teaspoons per 225g flour.

Lubyloo Tue 09-Sep-08 12:37:38

Thanks Daisy. I decided that was what it meant too. The dough is resting in the fridge at the moment. Will report back on whether it worked or not!

DaisySteiner Tue 09-Sep-08 14:25:54

Hope it turns out OK!

asicsgirl Tue 09-Sep-08 16:29:46

daisysteiner get back to your typewriter! or is all this mn-ing 'research'? grin

asicsgirl Tue 09-Sep-08 16:32:26

i had the reverse problem t'other day. loads of sr flour and no plain. tried to reduce the baking powder but guessed it and the muffins turned out a bit weird... then again that could be because i put 2 bananas in instead of one (they needed eating up) and forgot the oil...

[not being very helpful emoticon]

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now