Talk

Advanced search

Chicken stock??

(18 Posts)
Skramble Mon 08-Sep-08 22:45:39

How long should I boil it. I want to go to bed soon but it still tastes a bit weak. Smells great though.

Don't know how long I should boil it really and what is the best way to cool it, might pour it into the tubs and put in the hut to cool over night rather than leaving out in a warm kitchen, then skim in the morning then freeze.

Skramble Mon 08-Sep-08 23:07:51

Bump, or I will be skimming or stirring all bloody night hmm.

harpomarx Mon 08-Sep-08 23:10:12

about 2 hours i would say.

if it tastes weak you may have put too much water with it, in which case no amount of boiling is going to help.

sorry if you've been boiling it all day sad

harpomarx Mon 08-Sep-08 23:11:21

and, yes, cool quickly (intrigued by 'the hut' - but sounds ideal!)

Overmydeadbody Mon 08-Sep-08 23:12:46

Harpomarx has already given all the adivce I would give!

Chicken stock always tastes really weak to me until I add salt.

harpomarx Mon 08-Sep-08 23:19:39

Thanks, omdb smile

are you still boiling, Skramble?

Skramble Mon 08-Sep-08 23:22:54

Still boiling, no not all day though since about 9pm. Had enough and want to go to bed now. I will mash it up a bit a strain and all that now. So much for an early night grin.

I put in just enough water to vover the carcass and a bunch of fresh herbs, it smells fantastic.

harpomarx Mon 08-Sep-08 23:31:21

sounds perfect Skramble!

what do you mean - 11.30 is an early night, isn't it???

handlemecarefully Mon 08-Sep-08 23:33:05

I'm hugely impressed that you bother!

Skramble Mon 08-Sep-08 23:42:55

I dont normally bother but I had rost chiken yesterday, and thought it was such a waste as I don't pick every bit off the carcass ans love making soup anyway.

After all that effort I only have 4 tubs of stock, don't know how much to use in soup but wil have to experiemnt.

They are cooling on the worktop at the back door, door is open so I am cooling too, I will have to put lids on before putting in hut, should be cool enough over night before freexing tomorrow.

Skramble Mon 08-Sep-08 23:43:22

Might mnake bed begfore midnight grin.

Skramble Mon 08-Sep-08 23:52:40

OOh that was scary carrying tray of stcok tubs out to hut, heard scary scratching sound somewhere, think it was in next door garden, scratching ajoining fench, had mad thought that smell of meaty stock would attract the wild beast, perhaps it will spend all night trying to get into my hut now, should I go and chuck bag of bones into the wheely, I dumped it outside back door as I am a lazy slut. hmm think I will, whish me luck.

PS scratching was not litle mouse scratching it was more wolf size, or giant geneticlly modified hedgehog perhaps.

Overmydeadbody Mon 08-Sep-08 23:56:02

sounds like a hedgehog!

Skramble Mon 08-Sep-08 23:56:57

Fecking big hedgehog, swore I could see it moving about 1m tall behind fence.

Skramble Mon 08-Sep-08 23:57:35

If I go to lift this bag from back door and it has big slashes in it can I scream like in the horror movies shock

Skramble Tue 09-Sep-08 11:39:39

Ok stock survived in the hut and is now in the freezer. Still not sure about the giant rutting hedgehogs though, but no blood or guts in the gardens so all is well.

handlemecarefully Tue 09-Sep-08 14:15:35

All is well that ends well....

Skramble Tue 09-Sep-08 14:38:01

grin.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now