Talk

Advanced search

Don't we normally have a Christmas Cake thread by now

(52 Posts)
thefortbuilder Mon 08-Sep-08 14:01:44

Or have I missed it? I need the fantastic Christmas Cake recipe but as it's nearly cake making day (1 October).

anyone else getting ready?

Mung Mon 08-Sep-08 14:02:53

It seems scary to be thinking about Christmas, but I keep telling myself that I am going to make a cake this year and do it well...so I will be watching VERY closely for top tips.

thefortbuilder Mon 08-Sep-08 18:25:50

bump

where's the christmas cake thread?

DisasterArea Mon 08-Sep-08 18:26:56

is this it?
will get around to it soon. usually do delia.

ComeOVeneer Mon 08-Sep-08 18:27:46

Bump. No idea but would love to join in this year.

BoysAreLikeDogs Mon 08-Sep-08 18:29:02

I use my grannie's recipe.

Off out in 2 ticks, will post it later if you like

smile

thefortbuilder Mon 08-Sep-08 18:40:00

it might be it this year grin - where is everyone else???

yes recipes please. I'll put mine on as well if I can find it from last year but I claim no credit - it's from another MNer!

TheGoddessBlossom Tue 09-Sep-08 09:04:08

I'm going to make one this year too, so I will join you lot. Had to throw first attempt last year, tin was too big and it burnt, such a waste of all the yummy ingredients....

FAQ Tue 09-Sep-08 09:12:04

ooo - was going to join in last year - then for one reason or another didn't - will do this year........

as long as someone posts an idiots recipe/guide grin

Mercy Tue 09-Sep-08 09:31:27

Do a search under 'cake' and 'slubberdegullion'

OhYouBadBadKitten Tue 09-Sep-08 09:35:54

nooo - not til Oct half term please!!!!

expatinscotland Tue 09-Sep-08 09:36:31

i use a dead simple recipe i got on here a couple of years ago.

NOT delia's 'sift the following ingredients together' faffy shit just like all her recipes.

they are DONE!

am feeding them brandy.

lucysmam Tue 09-Sep-08 09:37:26

oooh brill, i love xmas cake. never made one though, idiot proof recipe/guide is a good idea FAQ!

Charlee Tue 09-Sep-08 09:38:25

Recipe Please!!!!!!

expatinscotland Tue 09-Sep-08 09:40:14

i can't find the recipe anymore and don't want to type it out just now as need to feed Dd2.

have a search for it.

it was 2006 when someone wrote it in.

thefortbuilder Tue 09-Sep-08 10:57:45

Got it - UCM's recipe from last year, and as she says below (thanks btw UCM have cut and pasted), it works like a dream. even my dh deigned to eat it and he never eats cake shock

Come on where's the rest of MN WI???

My mum makes hers every 1st october without fail although she does use delia's faffy recipe

6oz sultanas
6oz raisins
4oz currants
4oz glacecherries
3oz mixed peel
1/4 pint sherry
6oz butter
6oz soft brown sugar
4 eggs
4oz SR flour
4oz plain flour
pinch salt
1/2 teaspoon mixed spice
1oz ground almonds

Mix together all fruit. pour sherry over and leave to soak for 1 week, covered. Stir frequently until required.

Grease & line a 7 - 8 inch cake tin

Method

Cream butter & sugar until soft & fluffy. Beat in eggs one at a time. Fold in flour, salt & ground almonds. Drain off any liquid from the fruit and mix fruit into mixture stirring until well blended. Put into prepared tin, smooth top and bake just below middle of oven for 1 hour on gas mark 3. Then cover with foil and reduce oven to gas mark 2 and cook for a further 1.5 hours until firm to touch. Leave to stand in tin until nearly cold. remove from tin, prick well and pour over liquid from dried fruit. Wrap in foil or greaseproof paper and leave to mature until a few days before christmas, then marzipan & ice.

Tips: I don't like almonds so didn't use em. I also put some chocolate liqueur in with the sherry. also I don't like marzipan so didn't ice, but did make one for a relative which I did ice and it was easy. I have never made a christmas cake before and I have to say this recipe works like a dream

Mung Wed 10-Sep-08 10:24:29

<heads to shops to buy ingredients>

mabel1973 Wed 10-Sep-08 10:29:09

was just thinking about making a xmas cake the other night while I was watching hairy bikers making fruit cake, it reminded me of how much I like it, although haven't made a xmas cake for the last few years as no-one else likes it but me.
Might give this one a try though.
Do i need to soak fruit or anything ??

MamaG Wed 10-Sep-08 10:38:47

I use delia's faffy recipe and its FAB

defiant link

I'm going to make mine when I finish work on mat leave (16th Oct woo hoo) - think I'll make a huge one as well and save it for christening (how long will it keep for, if I keep feeding it? Should I freeze it or wrap it up well and keep in a cupboard?)

empressorchid Wed 10-Sep-08 10:53:49

This is one my MIL gave me and I make it every year. It's a lovely moist recipe:

Ingredients

225g butter
300g dark muscavado sugar
2x500g bags luxury dried fruit
finely grated rind and juice of one orange
ditto above with one lemon
100g whole blanched almonds
4 large eggs, beaten
100g ground almonds
125ml brandy or sherry
300g plain flour
1/2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp mixed spice
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp grated nutmeg

Method

- Put the butter, sugar, dried fruit, citrus rinds & juices, and brandy or sherry in a large pan and bring to the boil slowly. Stir until the butter has melted, then reduce the heat and let it bubble gently for 10 mins, stirring occassionally.
- Grease and line with two thicknesses of greaseproof paper a cake tin 20cm/8 in round or 18cm/7 in square. Preheat oven to 150C/Gas mark 2. For fan oven cook from cold at 130C
- Remove pan from heat and leave to cool for about 30 mins. Toast the whole almonds in a dry frying and chop roughly when cool enough to handle.
- Stir the eggs, the chopped and grounds almonds into the cooked fruit mixture and mix well. Sift flour, baking powder and spices into the pan, stirring gently til no trace of flour left.
- Spoon mixture into tin and use spoon dipped into hot water to flatten top.
- Bake for one hour then reduce heat to 140C/Gas 1/Fan 120C until cake is dark and firm to touch. Cover top with foil if starts to darken too much.

Also got a great one for christmas pudding if anyone has a spare 8 hours!!!!

toadette Wed 10-Sep-08 11:21:36

I made this one last year, it was my first attempt at a Christmas cake. Recipe was easy and cake turned out scrummy.

The best ever Christmas cake (from Good Housekeeping mag)

Hands-on time: 25min plus soaking; cooking time: around 31/2hr; cuts into 16 slices

250g (9oz) each plump raisins and sultanas
100g (31/2oz) dried cranberries or blueberries
200g (7oz) natural glace cherries, halved
200ml (7fl oz) vanilla vodka – we used Absolut (from Tesco and Waitrose)
150g (5oz) roasted Marcona almonds (£1.99 from Waitrose)
200g (7oz) unsalted butter, softened, plus extra for greasing
200g (7oz) unrefined dark muscovado sugar
4 medium organic eggs, beaten
100g (31/2oz) plain flour

1 Put the raisins, sultanas, dried cranberries and cherries in a large bowl. Add the vodka and stir well. Cover and leave to soak for 2-3hr or overnight.

2 Grease and line the base and sides of a 20.5cm (8in) round tin with greaseproof paper. Preheat the oven to 150°C (130°C fan) mark 2. Put the almonds in a food processor and blend lightly until coarsely chopped. Tip out 75g (3oz) and blend the remainder until ground.

3 Put the butter and sugar in a large mixing bowl and beat with a handheld electric whisk for 2-3min until light and creamy. Gradually whisk in the beaten eggs, adding a little of the flour if the mixture starts to curdle. Stir in the ground and chopped nuts and flour.

4 Tip the soaked fruit mixture into the bowl with any unabsorbed liqueur. Mix well, then spoon into the prepared tin and level the surface. Bake for 31/2hr or until a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean. Leave to cool in the tin, then remove and wrap in a double thickness of foil until ready to decorate.

380cals, 17g fat (of which 8g saturates), 49g carbs, 13g added sugar per serving

Testers' Tips
*If you don’t want to buy vanilla vodka, use ordinary vodka and mix in 2tbsp good quality vanilla extract.
*Once baked, you can boost the vanilla flavour by dousing the cake with a little extra vodka before wrapping and storing.
* Check packets before you buy - go for dried fruit that doesn’t contain hydrogenated vegetable oil.
* If you don’t have a food processor, use 75g (3oz) ready ground almonds and chop 75g (3oz) marcona almonds by hand.

sherby Wed 10-Sep-08 11:23:00

UCM used to do it

her recipe is really good, I will get my ingredients this week, who else is in?

cmotdibbler Wed 10-Sep-08 11:28:06

I do one that starts off with a pint of Southern Comfort in which you soak the fruit for a month (or good with Jack Daniels). Its def not a childrens cake,and you do have to make sure that you cut the fruit up fairly small else it sort of explodes in your mouth like a shot. But tastes gorgeous and is v v moist as you liquidise half the fruit with all the remaining liquid.

lucysmam Wed 10-Sep-08 11:51:03

how long do you soak the fruit for? Does it have to be for a month? & when are you supposed to actually do the cake making part of making the cake? If that makes sense

cmotdibbler Wed 10-Sep-08 13:09:10

For my recipe it really does need at least 2 weeks to really absorb the alcohol fully, but a month is better. As its so moist you can just make it a week before.

I can fish the recipe out later if you are interested

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now