Talk

Advanced search

why did my biscuits turn into little cakes?

(23 Posts)
fourlittlefeet Mon 08-Sep-08 13:36:56

same recipe, the first time I made them they didn't spread out so looked like lumpy little hills, but were nice and crunchy.

the second time I added more milk as I thought a looser texture might spread them out. I was right, they spread out but also never went hard and crispy, though just as brown. I suspect the first time I might have forgotton the bicarb too.

any thoughts?

MarkStretch Mon 08-Sep-08 13:39:06

Did you use plain flour or self raising?

AbbaFan Mon 08-Sep-08 13:46:44

what was in them?

nannynick Mon 08-Sep-08 13:51:01

Oven temperature perhaps, possibly too low. Though by the sounds of it, the mixture was too wet, due to you adding the milk.

I made biscuits with the children I was babysitting on Saturday evening. We used 4oz Butter, 4oz Sugar, 8oz Plain Flour and 1 Egg. This very basic biscuit mixture can be cut into shapes by children. It would have worked without the Egg but is best put in a tin, rather than cut into shapes. The egg seems to me to help hold it together and stop it spreading out too much.

What recipe were you using?

seeker Mon 08-Sep-08 13:59:33

Sounds as if you used self raising flour by mistake. I've got a brilliant cut-out biscuit recipe if you need it. (well, it's Nigella's actually, but it's still brilliant!)

fourlittlefeet Mon 08-Sep-08 13:59:52

it was plain flour, sugar, bicarb, butter, egg, milk, choc chips and apricots. bake 180 for 8 to 12 mins. temps same both times and I measured the ingredients!

fourlittlefeet Mon 08-Sep-08 14:01:06

yes please on biscuit recipe! i had a coffee morning and the baby was asleep so couldn't go to the shop as planned. good cook and bread baker. shit at cakes and biscuits blush due to no practice!

fourlittlefeet Mon 08-Sep-08 14:02:49

i was confused as the first batch were biscuity but weird looking, the second looked perfect but stayed like small cakes. it was a chunky monkey recipe. really wanted to make american chop chip type cookies but obviously failed miserably! tasted nice though.

FlightAttendent Mon 08-Sep-08 14:13:05

Oh what a sweet thread title! I thought it was going to be a lament that your babies have grown into toddlers!! grin

hmm sorry am obv not quite with it...

FlightAttendent Mon 08-Sep-08 14:13:52

<<furiously adds bicarb to ds2's head>>

<<waits>>

fourlittlefeet Mon 08-Sep-08 14:15:33

Flighty I could lament with you on that one too. what a lovely poetic way to read it especially as DD has just weaned herself sad!

NoBiggy Mon 08-Sep-08 14:18:25

It's a miracle!

My Rich Teas have not been similarly blessed

FlightAttendent Mon 08-Sep-08 14:19:07

Aw! sad am weaning too atm.

Lol Nobiggy! grin

FlightAttendent Mon 08-Sep-08 14:19:59

Btw I cannot cook so unable to help with actual problem grin

fourlittlefeet Mon 08-Sep-08 14:22:36

I've got another little biscuit in the oven so will be BF'ing again in four months. Maybe there is a true link and thats where the need to learn to bake has come from. Or I'm just hungry and pregnant and want nice biscuits without walking to the shop grin

FlightAttendent Mon 08-Sep-08 14:24:43

Congratulations! How lovely smile

fourlittlefeet Mon 08-Sep-08 14:56:46

thank you! good luck with the weaning Nobiggy.

suzywong Mon 08-Sep-08 15:57:46

I'll tell you the secret to crisp, flat biscuits:

LARD

half lard half marge

psychomum5 Mon 08-Sep-08 16:02:23

but does that mean that your biscuits, if not hard and crunchy, were soft a chewy???

if so, then sorry but I feel very envy at your skill to make the best biscuits in the world!!!

Twims Mon 08-Sep-08 16:11:18

I use Mrs Badgers recipe - they're lovely

nannynick Mon 08-Sep-08 17:28:15

Bicarb reacts quickly so air bubbles would form fast once in the oven. The egg I would have thought would then help keep the biscuits expanded.
I'm pondering over the milk... your recipe had butter in it and egg, so I am wondering what purpose the milk had... other than to make the mixture more runny (which I don't think you want for biscuits, but do for cakes).

Perhaps try the recipe again, but skip the milk and see what happens. Experiment a bit, never know you may come up with a new recipe for lovely biscuits which are hard on the outside but soft and chewy in the middle.

Or just try a different recipe. I like the one's with very few ingredients - as seems to me that there is less to go wrong!

Easy Emergency Biscuits (Mrs Badger)
Jammy Biscuits (Anon)

pointydog Mon 08-Sep-08 17:30:54

not enough flour?

fourlittlefeet Mon 08-Sep-08 19:27:08

I'm going to go through methodically. basically when I added more milk in the hope they would spread out, they turned into little cakes, literally. not soft and chewy (which is secretly what I, too, was after). They were like small jaffa cakes. nice, but not soft, chewy american cookies hmm. when I did it without as much milk they didn't spread out but stayed in little rocky mountains. crunchy biscuits, but looked pretty weird!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now