Talk

Advanced search

did introducing food make baby more sleepy?

(4 Posts)
kellyo Mon 08-Sep-08 10:55:34

Hi, I started giving my 5 month old baby rice and banana 3 days ago. She absolutely loved the food and ate all that was put in front of her. She has gone from sleeping a maximum of 6 - 7 hours to 11 at night which is great but during the day she is also very sleepy and is no where near as interactive as she was prior to food. Has anyone else experienced this? Is this a sign I have weaned to early? Any advice please....................

RedHead81 Mon 08-Sep-08 11:03:27

I don't think its a sign of early weaning at all - maybe just a coincidence? Is she otherwise well?

I would say though, it is usually said to start with veggies rather than sweet fruit, because she may prefer to eat sweeter things rather than savoury (how true this is I don't know, but maybe worth thinking about if you haven't already)

Usually with the first few days it's only a teaspoon of food so mabe she's had a little too much and its made her sleepy?

I might not be giving the right advice here, but just my thoughts. Hope someone can give you more fact based info.

teenymummy Mon 08-Sep-08 11:03:29

I was told my my health visitor to introduce food at 4 months which i did and I got the same result as you. He absolutely loved the food, wolfed it all down and became very sleepy from then on. I asked my health visitor about it and she said it was perfectly normal, they just have fuller tummys than they are used to which makes them sleepier. My little one is now 8 months and hes been back to being alert and playful for a couple of months now. Hes also back to waking through the night (because of teething) so I'd say just make the most of the peace and quiet whilst you have it! If you are worried then talk to your health visitor about it just to set your mind at ease but if shes anything like my little one she'll be fine!

kellyo Mon 08-Sep-08 12:57:49

thanks so much for your advice redhead and teeny mummy.

She has seemed perfectly healthy except being very lethargic. I will try veg later instead and limit how much she takes. Hopefully i keep the night time sleping!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now