Talk

Advanced search

Bechamel Sauce?

(9 Posts)
Twiglett Tue 22-Feb-05 11:26:56

Is that just white sauce made from a roux with the milk pre-boiled with peppercorns, onion and a bay leaf?

and do you let the milk cool before making the sauce?

Marina Tue 22-Feb-05 11:30:00

Yes. I let the milk cool otherwise it cooks the flour/butter mix just a bit too quickly.
(Or I have been known to break out the Colmans )

Beansmum Tue 22-Feb-05 11:30:38

I just add the peppercorns, bay leaf and a couple of cloves to the sauce after I have made the roux and added the milk. then strain the sauce and season with salt and a bit of nutmeg.

Snugs Tue 22-Feb-05 11:30:51

Bechamel justs means white sauce made by the roux method - so the other ingredients are to personal taste.

I find the milk has to be quite hot to thicken the sauce properly, just take it off the heat so that you can control the speed to prevent lumps.

soapbox Tue 22-Feb-05 11:31:15

IIRC - you make a roux based bechamel with hot milk and an all-in-one method bechamel with cold milk.

Beansmum Tue 22-Feb-05 11:31:19

I add the onion too, forgot about that

Twiglett Tue 22-Feb-05 11:31:40

colmans? like a pre-made one .. is it nice???

Enid Tue 22-Feb-05 11:32:39

If its for the kids, I just put butter, milk and flour in a pan and boil it while stirring - makes perfect, lump-free sauce in no time. If its for adults, it tastes more refined if you cook the butter and flour for a bit first, then whisk in warm/hot milk (means no lumps). If it goes lumpy, boil the crap out of it while stirring

Twiglett Tue 22-Feb-05 11:36:41

well I've just made a mince thing and thought I know I'll add some pasta and a cheese sauce and bake it

but .. got no cheese so thought bechamel would do?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now