Talk

Advanced search

Anyone know how to make Blackberry Jelly

(5 Posts)
LivvyW Sun 07-Sep-08 21:37:54

DH has picked several pounds of blackberries, and is keen to make blackberry jelly. Anyone done it sucessfully? We have got jam sugar (sugar with pectin). Do we just do a blackberry jam and strain through a muslin?

TIA

supercollider Sun 07-Sep-08 21:39:49

I've used Delia's recipe - you don't even need special sugar.

SoupDragon Sun 07-Sep-08 21:40:20

I think you might cook the black berries, strain them, then do the jam making bit

DisasterArea Sun 07-Sep-08 21:40:45

yes you need a jelly bag and don't squeeze it or your jelly will go cloudy. think delia has a recipe i've followed. IIRC boil up black berries and water (can't remember amounts though) then leave to drip over night. then add sugar and jam it.

LivvyW Tue 09-Sep-08 19:48:43

Thanks for help. You were all right. I didn't have all the spices for Delia's or even a lemon.

Just boiled up 3lbs of blackberries with a pint of water and poured through a muslin left to drip (without squeezing) overnight.

In the morning had exactly 1 litre of juice and dissolved jam sugar into it over heat. Boiled it until it reached 105 degrees (used sugar thermometer) and checked for wrinkles on a cold plate.

Poured into sterilised jars.

Fabulous deep burgundy clear jelly jam. Delicious!!!

Recommended.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now