Talk

Advanced search

Cauliflower cheese tonight - do you cook the green leafy bits of the cauli?

(16 Posts)
Spink Sun 07-Sep-08 18:53:32

I never have but dh looked aghast when I admitted it. If you cook the green bits, how do you prepare them?

And any tips for avoiding cauli cheese wateriness much appreciated!

NorthernLurker Sun 07-Sep-08 18:54:52

I don't cook the green bits.

TheArmadillo Sun 07-Sep-08 18:56:39

you can - they are perfectly edible, but most don't. Just cut the stalks out (or rip the bits of leaves off if you are me).

I don't tend to do it for cauliflower cheese, but would for cauliflower soup.

Drain cauliflower well to prevent wateriness - leave in drainer for about 5 mins.

PavlovtheCat Sun 07-Sep-08 18:58:00

I don't, but if I have use for it, I add it to the water whilst cooking the cauliflower, and use it for stock.

But only if I am being organised. Which is not often.

MegBusset Sun 07-Sep-08 18:58:20

No, I've never heard of cooking the leaves too!

Re: wateriness. IME the trick is to make the sauce nice and thick and not put too much on -- water will come out of the veg when it cooks anyway. I also let it stand for a few mins before serving.

MegBusset Sun 07-Sep-08 18:59:56

TheArmadillo, do you mean you steam/boil the cauli before baking? I've never done this -- just bung it raw in the dish, cover with sauce, breadcrumbs mixed with grated cheese on top, then oven for 30-40 mins. Yum

MrsWeasley Sun 07-Sep-08 19:00:33

never heard of cooking the leaves, not even MIL does that and she serves cheese sauce and gravy on the same plate hmm

PavlovtheCat Sun 07-Sep-08 19:02:32

I personally don't cook the cauliflower first.

I make the sauce, then I mix with washed uncooked cauliflower and then cook on about 6 for 45 mins.

I cover with foil for about 25-30 mins (minus the cheese topping so it steams/bakes, then take the foil off add cheese (or cheese/breadcrumbs) then back for 15-20 mins to brown the top while continuing to cook the cauliflower.

I hate soggy cauliflower. This way it stays crisp with some flavour.

Spink Sun 07-Sep-08 19:03:24

excellent, I suspected dh was being odd.

I'm off to make it!

NoblesseOblige Sun 07-Sep-08 19:04:29

i serve cheese sauce and gravy on the same plate! tis yum grin

TheArmadillo Sun 07-Sep-08 19:07:33

I always boil/steam mine first while making the sauce and then bake for about 20-30 mins. I don't put breadcrumbs on mine either.

Is best imo with cauliflower, brocolli, mushrooms (sauted first) and carrots - all boiled/steamed first and served with roast potatoes and baked beans. And sometimes bacon.

I eat cheese sauce and gravy together - I also eat gravy and baked beans together - I would eat all three together, dp's face = envy (with vomit not envy).

This is making me long for cauliflower - dp hates the stuff and so i never get it <sob> Not worth making cauliflower cheese for one.

MegBusset Sun 07-Sep-08 19:10:32

Leeks are very nice in it, too. And sausages, if you really want to push the boat out!

georgiemum Sun 07-Sep-08 19:15:07

I don't cook the cauliflower first, just wash it and break into smallish florettes into a pyrex bowl. It may take a little longer to bake but I love the crunchy layer on the top of the cheese sauce. Don't put tomatoes on the top before cooking as these make it squishy.

I love cauliflower cheese.

Oh, Hi Pavlov - just saw we do it in a similar way.

What is really nice is if you put a thin layer of pesto sauce on the bottom of the bowl before puting in the veg and cheese sauce - don't mix is as it bubbles up when you cook it.

PavlovtheCat Sun 07-Sep-08 19:15:33

Armadillo - I have to disagree. chips and baked beans. and it is worth making it for one...DH is out this evening with DD and I am alone, and wondering what to do for tea....and then this thread inspired me..

cauliflower cheese, chips and beans. Mmmmmm grin

georgiemum Sun 07-Sep-08 19:21:26

I make it for one! I usually end up making different meals for each of us - I once managed to make 4 and there is only 3 of us.

Spink Sun 07-Sep-08 20:25:02

mm was yummy. I chucked in the leaves (thanks armadillo!) and they were actually really lovely; a bit more of an intense flavour and a good texture contrast...

Next time I'll chuck it all into the oven together - steamed it today and there was no wateriness, but like the sound of the lazier option wink

thanks everyone - Pavlov, if you had some too tonight I hope it was LUSH

and armadillo - it is SO GOOD - definitely worth making for one!!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now