Talk

Advanced search

When do you need to make a Christmas cake?

(6 Posts)
AbbaFan Sun 07-Sep-08 18:19:32

Following a brilliant thread on home-made xmas pressies. I am loving the idea of a hamper filled with home-made goodies for the grand-parents.

Only trouble is I have never made a christmas cake.

Anyone one have an easy cake recipe, and do I have to make it really early?

bellavita Sun 07-Sep-08 18:23:33

I have made this one by Delia Smith

I generally do mine around the middle of October.

Overmydeadbody Sun 07-Sep-08 18:29:23

You need to make it anytime between now and the end of october.

If you've never made one before I recommend Delia too.

AbbaFan Sun 07-Sep-08 18:47:05

Looks good.

Would you HAVE to use brandy. We don't drink it, so would have to buy it specially for this.

I have Grand Mariner (orange licquer) - would this work?

2loudboys Sun 07-Sep-08 18:51:47

October here, too. You can use whisky, brandy, any kind of liqueur. Grand Marnier would be fine.

expatinscotland Sun 07-Sep-08 18:54:09

i'm making mine tonight.

i use brandy, but orange liquer will work just fine, too, or sherry.

i don't drink brandy, i just buy a bottle for about £8 in Lidl and use it to feed my cakes and the rest i toss into M&S mincemeat at a couple of weeks before Xmas. then i make shortcrust pastry in the food processor and make 'homemade' mincemeat pies as gifts.

oh, get more brandy. peel 3 oranges, leaving hte inner white skin on the fruit. cut the zest into 2.5in. strips. Put into a clean, screw top jar and pour 3 cups of brandy on top. Cover tightly and let stand at room temp for 3 weeks. Remove the rind. Stir in 1 cup honey and let that stand for 3 days. Then strain off the clear part and decant into pretty decanters you find in charity shops for peanuts all year.

Voila, orange liqueur!

Keep the cloudy portion to cook with.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now